Craigslist rage...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, I was checking my local Craigslist listings (as I often do) and came across an ad for someone seeking a mate for his B. albo. So far so good, right? But wait...

"SEEKING MALE (BRACHYPELMA) TARANTULA"

"SEEKING MALE TARANTULA to MATE WITH MY BEAUTIFUL FEMALE FLUFFY B.ALBO TARANTULA.
MALE MUST BE A (BRACHYPELMA) to be able to mate her and succeed.
(Read the scientific name).
Will pay up to $60 max depending on which kind.
Not my pics, just for example, those are brachypelma tarantulas :)"

This ad is accompanied by pictures of what appears to be a (Edit: Brachypelma annitha or) B. smithi/B. boehmi hybrid - and a male Aphonopelma chalcodes (both lifted from other pages).

Idiot.

And what do you want to bet, if this would-be breeder is successful in tracking down a male for his B. albo (if that's even what he has), and if he is successful in breeding her, that he'll be listing the slings for sale on Craigslist?

Sorry. Just venting...

Last edited:

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
So, I was checking my local Craigslist listings (as I often do) and came across an ad for someone seeking a mate for his B. albo. So far so good, right? But wait...

"SEEKING MALE (BRACHYPELMA) TARANTULA"

"SEEKING MALE TARANTULA to MATE WITH MY BEAUTIFUL FEMALE FLUFFY B.ALBO TARANTULA.
MALE MUST BE A (BRACHYPELMA) to be able to mate her and succeed.
(Read the scientific name).
Will pay up to $60 max depending on which kind.
Not my pics, just for example, those are brachypelma tarantulas :)"

This ad is accompanied by pictures of what appears to be a B. smithi/B. boehmi hybrid - and a male Aphonopelma chalcodes (both lifted from other pages).

Idiot.

And what do you want to bet, if this would-be breeder is successful in tracking down a male for his B. albo (if that's even what he has), and if he is successful in breeding her, that he'll be listing the slings for sale on Craigslist?

Sorry. Just venting...
i hate people like that i just wanna slap them

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Is it really that easy to breed different species from the same genus? Wouldn't the offspring be unable to breed anyways?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it really that easy to breed different species from the same genus? Wouldn't the offspring be unable to breed anyways?
Unfortunately, no. Other people have successfully bred Brachypelma hybrids, so at least some of the offspring of Brachypelma crossings can be fertile.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I assumed hybrids were infertile anyways. Fertile or not, that's not good
exactly, this is, in part, what has lead to the whole "hobby form" vs "wild form" B. Albo's.
basically hybrids of B. alto's and B. Vegans and other such brachy's sometimes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Report the post to CL and pick out whatever reason seems the most offensive when asked why that person's advert needs to come down. I've done that a lot.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Respond to his add and then bring a massive hungry female P.cancerides... The idiot won't know the difference and if by some act of God he musters the neurons to
realise something is off tell him it's a new morph and the resulting offspring will make him rich... Or just meet him pepper spray him and run off with his spider... Really the world is your oyster..Shuck it.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Send him a male OBT, tell him it is the Brachypelma "Tangerine" morph, or more scientifically, an "Orange Brachypelma Tarantula". Explain that any apparent aggressiveness is just a perfectly harmless indication of a willingness to mate.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Send him a male OBT, tell him it is the Brachypelma "Tangerine" morph, or more scientifically, an "Orange Brachypelma Tarantula". Explain that any apparent aggressiveness is just a perfectly harmless indication of a willingness to mate.
You thought this one through, didn't you:rofl:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'd be scared for the poor B albo...if the OBT even got that far :D