Craig73’s Tarantula Diary

Craig73

Arachnoangel
@Craig73 I use Herpcult too. Love them. Although for adult fossorials I don't find them to work, but great for terrestrials and juvenile arboreals and juveline fossorials they're great for sure! I'm jealous of your T. Panama 😍

Great blog. Good read.
I’m thinking the same. I bought four large arboreal ones back in early 2020 and didn’t realize what I know today. If I did it over again I’d do front opening, a lot easier for maintenance.

One of the T. Panama’s looks like it has issues with its fangs and super skinny now. Fangs are there, but don’t really tuck in like usual. Not sure if it will survive its next molt, we will see. So far it’s been a trooper.

Putting my Scorpion tank on the back burner for the night. Did manage to get the stand built and an observation chamber framed out. It’ll eventually be upgraded once its larger, but having fun now being creative.

Also planning on doing a back drop with its name, ‘Dirty Harry’; it’s an desert harry scorpion so figured the name was fitting. Got the idea when my brain was fried doing the frame and playing with pieces I had already cut. It will be much smaller scale.

Off to work on the Irminia setup now. From one project mess to the next. It will have live pathos, my buddy is proving guidance and it’s late where he’s at so likely get it setup tonite and get feedback tomorrow for the eviction day.

Girl is chubby, I mean super badonka donk. Premolt has to be becoming soon, her colors have dulled quite a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if she hits 5” this go around.

551C3ADE-9F91-49EF-85D3-0660EEB32141.jpeg 094302CF-D7A2-40CD-9B48-DB8A21D542B4.jpeg 9DCB69A9-9E66-4D08-AF35-0D774F0C8144.jpeg

Attachments

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
If I did it over again I’d do front opening, a lot easier for maintenance.

For me, front opening for things like Avicularia or Versicolor. But for Pokies, my P. metallica having top opening (espeically because it SLIDES open) is way better. Those pokies circle around the enclosure if they're spooked. If the side was open they'd come right out. Being able to slide the lid open barely to do what I need works great. When they're older they all get Exo Terra Nano Tall though, and bigger pokies like P. vittata get Mini Tall.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
EVICTIONS
Said goodbye to my 4” gbb this morning and took him to a business I purchase some of my T’s from; the gbb was a sweetheart through and through. Big bonus, I transferred this 4” boy to a deli cup without incident.

Bumba horrida, the hair kicking princess, also took a ride. Bye Felicia! (no pic)

756D5B17-77D5-485A-8E34-3906D2A3E7D0.jpeg

NEW ROOMMATES
You’d think I was on the right tack to down sizing…um…if the answer was yes stop reading here. 😆

G. pulchra (2.5”)
219511E0-BE75-4A73-AC0C-1E9EBE7A71E2.jpeg

G. rosea rcf (1”)
6104C9F7-98E1-469F-A295-68BEA6B34A21.jpeg

N. chromstus (.33” freebie/no pic)
P. regalis (.5 - .75” freebie/no pic)

I know, another pokie after the P. met didn’t work out. I had the option of a metallica or regalis and I figured I’d give the regalis a try. On the count of three go ahead and roll your eyes…you have permission.

SLUMLORD
The P. irminia tenant has been demanding that I let her out of the lease on her existing unit. Luckily for her I have a tenant that can move in to her unit. Her new studio apartment furnishings have been changed, think I finally found a design that works.
14D8D2CB-5FE5-42F3-9A0E-2427B4651387.jpeg

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Don‘t even know where to begin. One project led into another and somehow this happened. Doesn’t even show the irminia enclosure build behind me. Clean up on aisle four needed! 🤦‍♂️
43D7805D-F8F2-4116-9EB9-EB7750463E62.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’m seriously starting to think I have some rare form of dyslexia or incredibly stupid. I was working on the P. irminia enclosure build having a really challenging time working with the last of my big pieces of cork bark; they fit together like water and oil. Finally got something usable after cutting, gluing and cursing. Guess what?!! I put the pieces in backwards so the lid first open up where the hides are!

I haven’t touched it for days, been so po’d about it. Top opening enclosures are not fun when it comes to fitting things together in a cramped space.

I switched gears to the scorpion enclosure build. Got some feedback and incorporating that into the new 10gal tank I got today. Excavator clay is NOT fun to work with. And in true fashion, I put the tank on the stand I built backwards. 🙄. Easy fix, but I’m seeing a theme. Since I went to a taller enclosure I added risers to frames that will support the rocks I will add. Even that has decided run the blood pressure up. Seriously, I did work on this sober. 😂

F7DE29DD-3749-48FC-A6FB-5BAA736E125B.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
So in true fashion a non-update update. The P. irmania enclosure has been done and monitoring the live pathos which appears to be doing really well. Yup, that means this baby is getting the thumbs up to move.

The pieces were a joke to fit together. I’ve literally spent hours micro adjusting, redo’ing, and repeating way too long. I hate feeling like I’m providing sub-standard living conditions which stresses me out more than actually thinking about rehousing the dang T. I love doing enclosures, but I put too much pressure on myself.

The scorpion tank has the clay cured and ready for the remaining sand/substrate mix. Not sure how I feel about the overall look, but hopeful it is decent in the end. Made some adjustments removing the fabricated tunnel and going to let it do what scorpions do. Still has the observation chamber with a couple of entrance points. The frame under the rock is an insurance policy nothing shifts or collapses on the scorp should it try to dig under it. Probanly way too much paranoia. Not to mention it ways a freaking ton now.

C1DA7177-AC57-4F40-9220-6DB5BEA64461.jpeg 01D89B2A-E67A-45E3-8D21-7627D507CB12.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
A couple T’s made their way into new enclosures. Yes, the long talked about, months in the making, P. irminia has been finally rehoused!

I wasn’t terrified or afraid, but I also wasn’t super eager either.

4” of less than down for the eviction. I’ve never had one threat pose from this one, but had to move it to get the lid off and she did not appreciate the nudge.

C8F6381A-7A10-4A55-BD3F-47BC157DCA0F.jpeg
E1188FE1-EC08-416C-BF8E-3F1D5A8996C0.jpeg

H. pulchripes also got an upgrade. Much more cooperative. This little one is sub 2”.
1BC8AE51-D7A4-4091-A563-31F7322BB219.jpeg
6391587C-92D7-44AA-A761-B3CA3B1A4A6C.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Survived the psalm and H. pulchripes rehouses this past weekend but nearly had a dance with the devil experience with the G. iheringi tonight. No pics, I was about to mess my pants.

Decided tonight was a good time to feed/water the crew. Wanted to get ‘er done and I’m normally very picky on where 747, my 4.5“ G. Iheringi, is in the enclosure to determine if I open it or come back later. Well, I opened it a crack, skipped the temperament test and started to fill the water bowl. The T has not been fed I two weeks so I should have known better and fed it first.

This guy went beast mode on the water stream filling the bowl and had nearly a quarter of its body out of the lid in a split second. Had I not just had it barely cracked open it would have flown out of the enclosure like a rocket.

I definitely ain’t looking to ever repeating this event again. Scared the bejubus outta me for a minute.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Tonight I also watched interesting behavior from the H. pulchripes. It was rehoused on Saturday and still not settled in. I decided to feed it and see what the vibe was. First 5 minutes nothing, then a sudden interest.

In true fashion my T’s ignore hides and it was scrunched in a spot behind the hide. When it took interest in the food it bounced to a specific spot and appeared to stomp one foot on the ground four times, once every 2 seconds. On the 4th tap it did a 180 around the side of the outside of the hide into it to tag the prey…the leap was precision and fast. I know they lay lines down, but had never seen a foot stomp motion onto one before.

What was also interesting is it seems to have kicked started the T into webbing. Pic below is one hour after the food was introduced.
D5BA4F8A-072F-4843-A41A-99A485FDC75F.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Man, what a week it’s been. Got a few slings in (Psalmopoeus emeraldus and D. diamantinensis). Also had two molts (G. pulchripes and P. irmini).

Have two D. diamantinensis in premolt as well as a few Psalms.

Now that my T’s are putting on size I‘m kinda stoked to be honest. I primarily started my T’s off as slings because it was easier with the phobia. I’ve been able to learn and grow with them which has been a tremendous benefit. I’m still not a big fan of doing rehousing, but it’s becoming easier.

The P. irminia was not my favorite Psalms, but growing on me. She is a bit of a diva now, definitely is not a break from the norm anymore and the sweet little thing I proclaimed is no more since the last two molts. Hoping I can recover the molt and confirm female.

Scorpion is in the new enclosure, but going to change out the very top layer; not super thrilled with the texture/color. Once that’s done I’ll have some updated pics.

G. pulchripes
06C32BBE-FE6A-410E-8FC6-D56309CD3277.jpeg

P. Irminia
2EDB713B-9873-4C7A-BC14-4FA923233483.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Depression, has to be one of the lamest jokes that could bestowed upon someone. It's been a rough ride the past couple of weeks, one of those deals you’re good until your not.

Had a feeling it was coming, loss of interest/focus in things I enjoy and drinking more. Definitely not an award winning combo of feeding depression with a depressant.

I have a number of rehouses I want to do, and a couple are need. I think a shopping spree to the Container Store is in order. Maybe that’ll snap me out of the fog a little. Do not need to be rehousing psalm slings and a regalis sling without a
clear mind.

I do have my A. avicularia M6 that’s ready to go into the next home. Probably start with that one to see how it goes. The 3” obt is likely to wait until I’m super focused.

Ramdom pics from tonight, none of these are rehouse eligible or have an inkling to
do with my ramblings. Of course…two are mooning me or I have some underlying subconscious fetish. 🤦‍♂️

G. pulchripes
6345A115-5745-4319-B66A-D044A31F9318.jpeg

P. victori
3EADE2BC-4815-4CA5-99F6-C6147643BFCD.jpeg

C. darlingi
A26E55F6-0E39-4942-9D75-9CEE3C6F2D0F.jpeg

P. mutacus

0C110E98-9573-419E-AA39-010017F8D9E9.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Lawd have mercy, look at those orange chevrons on this irminia. I’m naming this one ‘Ms. Lawd Have Mercy’ if I actually confirm it’s female.

Still has a week to go before the first post molt feed, but looking 4.5”. Had the nerve to do some webbing over its molt, not fair! Party foul, I bought it, it’s mine and I’mma get it.

D91EB288-7CDE-497D-BC7A-F034CF4758F5.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Had no intent to feed the Homoeomma sp. gold but when I filled the water it was giving a strong feeding response. This ding dong tackled the roach doing a summersault in the process, landed on its back and proceeded to immobilize the roach while on its back for ~10 minutes. Second time I’ve seen it do this.

FA617622-73ED-487E-AC8E-D9F8CAAD38FD.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My P. regalis molted and quite the jump in size. A rehouse will be done soon, I really want to get a nice clear container.

My first attempt attempt at keeping Poecilotheria was a flop. It was super intimidating and miserable, even from a sling. When I got the freebie P. regalis I was hoping for different results, well yes, I am much more comfortable with this one, not bolty or spastic like the previous P. metallica.

I can definitely tell I have more confidence in my capabilities so far, I can open the lid and not be freaked out. I really want this one to work out. The pic for me is a stride in the right direction, I’m able to set aside fears and accept if it bolts out that I have the skills to manage it. In no means is this something I do regularly, but was something I needed to do to move past my previous experience.

FC2991A2-FCA9-446E-BBB1-CDE1B6AF49EA.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My recently molted obt (RCF) is now out and about. Appears to be about 3.5”. I tried taking the molt out but destroyed it; much more fragile than I was expecting, or the webbing is a stronger then expecting. Doesn’t really matter, it’s been a pleasure so far. It’s always one of the first I check on every day when I wake up.

A4CB7EC5-FA82-47AE-8660-1FF54B0C5CEF.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Rehoused the P. regalis sling without incident, including anxiety. It was bigger than I had thought after the molt; over 2” (not dls). It’s since moved over to the enclosure wall in a pokie stance, but nothing worthy of a pic from the initial rehouse which is below.

The container is not my favorite since it’s a little on the narrow side, but still plenty of room. I placed the old container in the new one, opened the lid to the old container, covered the top of the new one with a zip lock bag flattened out, poked a hole in it and used my paintbrush to coax it out. That’s it.

I much prefer the disposition on this one compared to my last pokie.

ED09AB67-2C1A-457B-94DE-8E5E7286DCA2.jpeg B46F722F-8C1C-49EC-84C2-E39635DF0A8A.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I received an adorable card and some sling enclosures from another member. Touched my heart and I have them on my display shelf. Anytime I’m feeling down I have this reminder of how awesome people can be.

89709624-5465-4BC3-9339-667AAB746C3F.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My female G. iheringi recently molted. I’ve been waiting for a molt for what seemed an eternity. She’s a stunner for sure, the abdomen reminds me of a strawberry. Hmmmm, Strawberry would be a cute name.

Also the P. regalis has now decided to be a bit more show, such a 180 on how I feel about it from my previous poecilotheria experience. I really am enjoying this one a lot. Not saying it will work out in the long run, but I have my hopes. Certainly is a different experience in the best kind of way. 🌈

DBF12128-52E7-4470-8E54-381301B595CF.jpeg B6587CC3-4F3C-4705-B84F-392BA3C8367B.jpeg

Attachments

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Picture night. My P. cambridgei molted but unable to get a pic. Took forever in premolt, had been on the slow growing side of the spectrum as far as Psalmopoeus in my collection goes.

C. darlingi is in heavy premolt and hope to see that happen soon so I can rehouse it.

G. iheringi (747)
83D2CC5D-BD3D-47E5-8016-A00EF353A60A.jpeg

G. iheringi (Strawberry)
B4A90368-D979-41D8-8ACB-B2376015B8C6.jpeg

G. pulchripes (Truffles)
ACFCF028-89B0-408A-8A1B-185A12F8C120.jpeg

P. Murinus RCF (Wiener)
176604E4-E032-4657-9B10-61EF59281AF2.jpeg

P. regalis (unnamed)
Starting to use the cork tube.
8DEDA6AA-49F4-4355-989E-C7830696D5D6.jpeg

P. Irminia (Orange Crush)
Face down in the H2O
091B7497-48ED-4AD7-A38A-61233C90DBA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I can't resist Truffles for your choco coz they are the best chocolate 😆 and need a regal name for your pokie maybe The All Mordra... I am a Dark Crystal fan 🤣 😁 I can't help myself see a t that needs a name n I can't not 🤣🤣🤣 great pics BTW hun you have a lovely collection 😁

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I can't resist Truffles for your choco coz they are the best chocolate 😆 and need a regal name for your pokie maybe The All Mordra... I am a Dark Crystal fan 🤣 😁 I can't help myself see a t that needs a name n I can't not 🤣🤣🤣 great pics BTW hun you have a lovely collection 😁
I like ‘Truffles’ so cute! It’s one I snagged from cold blood a few months back.

Dark Crystal, omg, that movie was awesome. The little regalis is gonna get a name, not sure how regal it will end up as. 😁. My ow tend to get risqué names for some crazy reason. My C. darlingi is named ‘Me’so’ after a 2 Live Crew song and of course there’s the obt. 🙈🙊🙉