Craig73’s Tarantula Diary

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Reflecting on my 13th month of diving into the rekindled interest of keeping tarantulas I want to journal my experiences; reflecting on the first attempt back in 2016, my reintroduction into the ‘hobby’, and my experiences from sling to adult from an arachnophobic perspective as well as one in which my collection has grown at an accelerated pace.

By sharing my story, my truth if you will, I hope others find inspiration, self-reflect on their own journey, and acknowledge those that have paved the path before us that take time to mentor and guide us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
The Beginning: 2016
For as long as I can remember I have been terrible at recollecting past events and those I could are vague on the timeline, but here I go...

I’ve always had a fear of spiders, but a burning curiosity and fascination as well, at least for tarantulas. A friend I had met through an unrelated forum had mentioned his collection, and man was it big. So big his basement was practically dedicated to them. Long story short, weeks later I had found myself searching for T’s online and soon had my first T, a C. versicolor. I was terrified unpacking this .5” T. Feeding and watering was equally horrific, yet my addictive personality found myself ordering three more T’s (C. cyaneopubescens, D. diamantimensis, and G. pulchra). The colors in the pictures and videos I had seen were out of this world.

I was in over my head, bad this time like no other. I had joined AB, but for the sole purpose of sharing a few pics with my friend; I didn‘t view AB as a resource. Not only could I not find the courage to tell my friend I was terrified, I did not tell my partner I had the T’s.

I kept T’s behind books on a shelf; a hidden taboo that I was now faced with. I’d occasionally looked at them in amassment, contained behind a shield of plastic in their amac boxes. But I knew that feeding day was coming and those plastic containers would have to be opened.

Ill equipped with any form of sound husbandry and crippling feeling I began to lose the T’s one by one until there none. I recall feeling free from the fear, from the secrecy, from this horribly unthought out mistake.

Now as I reflect on the events that unfolded I fall deep into my thoughts of how horrific of a person I was at the time. It wasn’t reflective of me as a nurturing human being that is kind and empathetic, yet it was me, I was the monster not the other way around. My eyes well up with tears every now and then when I think about it.

This is my past, and will always be a part of my history as a T owner. I bare my truth in hopes I can find some sense of solice in growing as a person. I don’t know if there will ever be redemption, or if that is even what I’m looking for. I think that being honest with my past, sharing my story, my journey, and accepting that I am human and not perfect is certainly a step in the right direction.

To Be Continued...
(Four Years Later: 2020)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Four Years Later: 2020
Well more like 3.5 years later, but for the sake of keeping 2019 short and sweet, I began seriously researching tarantulas. Not in the academia sense by any stretch, but you get it.

My prior chapter was behind me and I was ready to move forward, but this time with some valuable lessons learned. I read articles and watched videos almost non stop for a good four, if not six months. I started compiling a list of what I liked and didn’t like from physical characteristics to behaviors. I still came up with three of the four I had kept before.

In March 2020 I purchased a tarantula, it was a .5” C. Versicolor. I remember the adrenaline running high when I hit the order button. As the arrival date approached I was super excited. Arrival day came and anxiety was high. A box, how was it going to look inside? As I cut the tape and opened the box I had this fear the spider would be loose and jump out. I was staring into a box filled with packing materials, lots of it. I slowly pulled each piece out until I got to a small vial.

This tiny vial has changed my life in so many ways. I vividly started to recall the fear the very first time I had opened a vial like this in 2016. I paused and out loud in a low quiet voice told myself, “You got this”. If anyone knows versi’s they know they can be a challenge wrangling into an enclosure. I ended up with a spider on my hand, I was proud I was able to somewhat remain collected.

About 3-4 weeks later I was feeling good in my growth and ability to care for a T without fear overtaking me. Don’t get me wrong, I still jump scare easy. I found myself with three more T’s soon after (A. Kwitara, A. Minatrix, C. cyaneopubescens. I can’t really recall the order in which the remaining T’s came, but it was pretty much monthly for the next dozen or so.

I don’t really think I realized the magnitude to which my collection was growing and how fast. I want to say between 20-25 T’s it sunk in that I amassed all of these T’s. Space wasn’t an issue, at least not with slings. We’ll figure that out later. I had my head in the game. These T’s had grown on me, I was emotionally attached. This was new, I saw them no different then my dog or birds. I found myself really protective of them.

I was clearly mentally vested in my T’s to the point that I had started to change how I interacted with them. As time went on I found myself becoming more confident in how I fed and watered them. I went from barely cracking the lid open to being able to take the lid off the enclosures. For a person with straight up fear of spiders this was huge. One
day I realized what a good portion of my fear was, the fear they would jump at me. After observing all of these T’s I realized that was not going to happen.

I remember in the June timeframe timeframe I had started to tell myself this is it, slow down and stop for Christ sakes. I have an addictive personality. I tend to go overboard and I clearly starred to acknowledge it at this point.

I’m going to pause at this point. It’s been a blur, a lot happened, and happened fast. I’m sure there’s a ton I have left out, but this really isn’t about trying to capture every single event. I know I want to cover phases I’ve gone through like dwarf species and ow’s.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
So quickly picking up on where I left off to get to current day and pics and all that good stuff. Like I’ve mentioned I have an addictive personality. I went through phases as I grew my collection. The more I read the broader the options became. I got my super colorful ‘wow factor’ T’s then discovered dwarf species. I acquired a few and then ow.

Honestly I did it all too fast. Not taking the time to savor the moments that are still yet to be had. Not acquiring the foundational experience of long standing success. I’m glad and disappointed at the same time. I wouldn’t trade having my T’s for the world, but fast and furious has robbed me of some truly special moments. How? Taking the time to feed and spend countless minutes watching my T eat. I’m now a feeding line, too many to stop and pause for more than a minute or two. Taking the time to design truly amazing enclosures. I often have five that need rehousing at a time. The hours in the day wear thin.

There really was no rush. I‘m now at a place I have acknowledged that only a specific species will be added. And let me say, space seems arbitrary when you have slings. The struggle is real. I’ve set up an expectation in my mind of how I want my collection displayed and as they grow that vision is rapidly changing based on reality.

So that’s my backstory. I’ll pick up on my recent rehouse of the Poecilotheria metallica the other day. Not to mention my re-imagination of my T corner and how I plan to redesign the space. And the many (no joke) upcoming rehousings; roughly 15!

I owe a ton of gratitude to many members and moderators here. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt my life has been positively touched.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
May 9th
The community is amazing! I got advice on rehousing my 3” Poecilotheria metallica. I second guessed myself and debated on enclosure size and ended up going with the larger one. Best decision ever!

Until I can attempt to molt sex it I‘m leaning towards male, although I have no idea. This one makes me the most anxious because it is so skittish. Once rehoused it appears to have taken a turn for the better. It’s even webbed, something it has typically only done during premolt and close to molt.

Optimistic, my bias has changed for the better and enjoying it more each day.

More pics to come, I’ve been letting it settle in…

DCB8953C-8015-41D5-A9EB-3D3CA243F133.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
May 14th
Rehoused the two D. diamantimensis slings. They actually are quite rich; both were ready to throw down with all 1” of their being. I knew they could be a handful, but first time experiencing it. Both actually stuck at the brush, impressive yet stressful as I was hoping it would be uneventful.

One appears in premolt, it’s also the one that attempted to fit through the air vent hole. That was a no go. The other actually touched the sub during transfer and all I saw was a little substraight flying as it took shelter.

E8CD7A3F-8E66-4D28-8322-FD5345AE3BCE.jpeg 1FA1A0C8-051F-479B-978C-F054176AD19A.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
May 17th
I about wet my pants. My recently acquired 1” Pelinobius muticus made an appearance. I have not seen it in a week and honestly did not expect to see it for some time. Truly an impressive T from such a young age. It has a regal, yet authoritarian stance.

The little king has sensed a disabled cricket from last night that has made its way into the water dish. The standoff has been an hour and I’ve had to control my urge to check on the status.

I will continue to watch my husbandry and hopefully find trends that influence it out of the burrow. I hope this is a regular occurrence, but the likelihood is contrary. This is a moment in time where the few and far between sightings are amazing. Would be even more amazing if I didn’t drill air holes in all four sides of the enosure.

3251AB0B-C592-497B-B901-0691120F0225.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
May 19th
Massive rehouse project is about to be underway. Going to start with the avics first, but honestly who knows, A. Kwitara first for sure. Second is the C. versicolor, and then play it by ear. I’m just taking it one at a time.

The largest T. sp. megacarapace is looking to be the most challenging. Not much info on it, skittish, food driven, and incredibly fast. That will be a treat and a half that I plan to do this FriYay.

This really marks my segway into now owning a number of juvenile T’s. After just over a year into owning these amazing animals I feel like I’ve reached a milestone where I’ve got my big boy pants on. Definitely going to get some rehousing experience through the firehouse.

I need to settle on a desk that I will be putting under my wall shelves for a working area, this floor business has run its course.

Wish me luck.

12E481DB-E56C-49AD-A197-A52E611C2690.jpeg

Open for comments from this point forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Thank you @Arachnopets for the edit ❤

Not gonna lie, aside from my 3” G. iheringi rehouse, the A. kwitara had my heart racing. I think what inspires me the most is the women in the hobby. Society leans towards men as the more dominant masculine ‘I can do it all and I’m the best’ mentality. For some reason as I was rehousing Kiwi I was thinking, ’man, I bet there are so many women that would have thought this was a cake walk’.

Fortunately avics tend to hunker down, and true to form Kiwi was in the Amac lid and I was able to transfer the lid into the new enclosure. I did use a piece of tissue tightly rolled and held it with the tongs and nudged the T out. My paint brush was way too short for the job and I can’t see myself using tongs, I jump scare to easily and too risky. Success, I did see the T rub its abdomen on the tissue so I was careful not to touch it.

Five minutes in the new enclosure Kiwi started to groom the fangs. Oddly this is my second transfer I’ve seen immediate grooming. Not quite sure what it means, the first transfer I saw this behavior was with my H. pulchripes.

I feel like this was a success. I wish I wasn’t so anxious and scared. After all, they have more to fear from me than I do of them. But nevertheless I forged forward and did what I set out to accomplish.

Super pumped to hopefully wake up to find my T behind the cork bark settling in. Only another 15 or so to transfer.

FBE03920-E6A8-4D1B-940B-C23EE8FD5B63.jpeg 6DA0F9FA-7D62-4247-AC9E-ECEB525C8C2A.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
The A. kwitara is not quite settled in after the rehouse, but looking amazing. The green doesn’t quite pick up well on pics, but it’s like an emerald green with silver hairs. I sure hope this one is female.

Ordered a 55” desk to use as a work table under my T shelves. Should come in a few weeks. Super basic, but the start of my T space redesign dubbed ‘Project Rei-magination‘.

More T rehousing to continue Sat. I am hoping to control my nerves more this time. Slow and steady is the plan.

73B42DA0-B503-4441-B427-0D1FB86A466E.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Today has been exceptional. Got the ~.75” A. purpurea rehoused. True to fashion these guys, much like the C. versicolor, can test your patience rehousing because they often seem to go for a walkabout rather than directly into the new home. But super cute, so gets the pass for the 10 minute sidetrack excursion around the outside of the new enclosure before I finally nudged up, over and in.

The transfer went super smooth with no jump scares. I actually had a good time with this transfer.

A4B83656-C68C-4DAA-B925-B0CC8CAF5E34.jpeg 99321D86-0D58-4EB7-A16B-855BE7AFBF53.jpeg F7875179-6391-43B1-8DFA-2D1558DA3A29.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
And spood number two successfully transferred; the C. versicolor at ~2”. I actually rocked this one compared to the A. kwitara a few days ago. Oddly it was much more challenging, but I switched my mindset and didn’t think too much on it.

The webbing was really thick with a tunnel system. Had a hard time pulling out the bark and decor with tongues and didn’t want to have it slip and injure the little dude, so gently pulled it out with the T in the ball of mess. So I have this little beast cm‘s from my hand and I told myself this is going one of two ways and deal…no jump scares allowed! Luckily it moved to the new enclosure wall, lapped twice and up and in.

This was a big milestone for me today. I pushed through, and got more experience rehousing bigger T’s. May not seem like much to many, but to me it was a proud moment to see my T upgraded to the next stage and that I’m able to care and love this animal. I’ve come a long ways. FD1F1D3F-9CEC-4EFF-A0E6-E091A778D5C6.jpeg

2C0B61B5-A2AA-47D6-8AE6-540C5EAE4819.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Final T transfer for the day, the Theraphosinae sp. Megacarapax. On this one I used a catch cup and placed it in the new enclosure. Poor fella came out of his hide and immediately cowered in the corner. I’m going to let him come out on his own, there is really no rush or need to prod it out. The cup is facing the new hide so should make it easy for it to find shelter quickly. I have two more to do, but another day.

8DA37E16-DEAD-4E7C-B8E7-B51D002BD203.jpeg
EE88C834-B49C-48A1-9738-3EBE120E0ACD.jpeg
Edit: Already relocated into the new hide. Most excellent.

Last edited:

Baby T

Arachnoknight
May 17th
I about wet my pants. My recently acquired 1” Pelinobius muticus made an appearance. I have not seen it in a week and honestly did not expect to see it for some time. Truly an impressive T from such a young age. It has a regal, yet authoritarian stance.

The little king has sensed a disabled cricket from last night that has made its way into the water dish. The standoff has been an hour and I’ve had to control my urge to check on the status.

I will continue to watch my husbandry and hopefully find trends that influence it out of the burrow. I hope this is a regular occurrence, but the likelihood is contrary. This is a moment in time where the few and far between sightings are amazing. Would be even more amazing if I didn’t drill air holes in all four sides of the enosure.

View attachment 385243
Lol wet your pants! 😂

And spood number two successfully transferred; the C. versicolor at ~2”. I actually rocked this one compared to the A. kwitara a few days ago. Oddly it was much more challenging, but I switched my mindset and didn’t think too much on it.

The webbing was really thick with a tunnel system. Had a hard time pulling out the bark and decor with tongues and didn’t want to have it slip and injure the little dude, so gently pulled it out with the T in the ball of mess. So I have this little beast cm‘s from my hand and I told myself this is going one of two ways and deal…no jump scares allowed! Luckily it moved to the new enclosure wall, lapped twice and up and in.

This was a big milestone for me today. I pushed through, and got more experience rehousing bigger T’s. May not seem like much to many, but to me it was a proud moment to see my T upgraded to the next stage and that I’m able to care and love this animal. I’ve come a long ways. View attachment 385737

View attachment 385738
Your C. Versi looks similar size to mine now.
When I first got it I housed it in its fancy forever home but it was just too small!
Still throws me sometimes when they say the size and you unbox and you're like "whaaaat??"
Anyway I decided it wasn't thriving so made a smaller enclosure. Christ the most difficult rehouse! So quick, so acrobatic, so unpredictable, so damn right nerve racking! Every time I tried to cup it (he) just decided to hang by one fuzzy toe and attempt suicide and then teleport to an impossible place!
It's had 2 molts now and I reckon it's ready for the forever home.
I'm sad to destroy the awesome tunnel it's made but reading something @viper69 said I'm just gonna block both exits from its cork bark and transfer, it will never know the difference!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Lol wet your pants! 😂
The last rehouse I forgot to add water to the dish and when I did it was set to spray instead of stream. 🤦‍♂️ The water on the fake plants adds to the naturalistic visual. 😊

I expected the versi to be more of a challenge. It actually decided to cooperate for the most part, I was ready for it to make a mad dash for freedom.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
The last rehouse I forgot to add water to the dish and when I did it was set to spray instead of stream. 🤦‍♂️ The water on the fake plants adds to the naturalistic visual. 😊

I expected the versi to be more of a challenge. It actually decided to cooperate for the most part, I was ready for it to make a mad dash for freedom.
There's so many wet pants jokes there! I'm from the UK so pants means knickers to me!! What do you call boxer shorts? Men's briefs!?

Omg do you call them trunks??!!
Sorry I've hijacked this but I can't find out what mens under garments are called in the US?
Is it just shorts?

Baby T

Arachnoknight
OMG, I read the first message as ‘plants’, hahaha. We call them underwear. Trunks are more like a swim suit.
Omg I'm so confused!! Ok underwear I can deal with!
Fanny pack Vs bumbag is a whole different agenda!!

Omg I'm so confused!! Ok underwear I can deal with!
Fanny pack Vs bumbag is a whole different agenda!!
Put it this way, I wear a bum bag as an accessory to a fancy dress from the 80s. If I visit America again I'm gonna rock that sweet fanny pack downtown somewhere!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Had a couple T’s molt this week (H. pulchripe, gbb), yeehaw. Posted those pics in the ‘Who Molted Today’ thread; not great pics so I’ll spare the link. Hoping to get better pics soon.

So my T. sp. Megacarapax rehouse is a major catastrophe IMO. I have three, but only got one rehoused so far. Glad I waited (aka procrastinated) on the other two. The sub needs to be waaaaay deeper. It tunneled under the water dish. 2” is not enough, so I will need to correct this ASAP. I feel bad, but better now than later because I couldn’t imagine not giving it a proper setup. A buddy suggested looking it up by locale so I will see if there is anything I can find…husbandry info is virtually non-existent.

My working desk for feedings and maintenance should arrive tomorrow. It is currently at the WORST FedEx hub ever; almost always delays. Once I get that setup I’ll be ready to visualize a new wall shelf system. Measure twice, cut once and cuss like a sailor after. Yup, that will happen 1000%. Another member posted his setup which I love, so I expect a Picasso version of that…don’t worry, not quitting my day job!

Peak of the T. sp. Megacarapax out

E0F1A3CC-331C-4EE1-80F9-6736CF353559.jpeg