Cowardly Sling

loginsinker

Arachnopeon
Tried to give my P. Gigas sling a mealworm that he/she is DEFINITELY large enough to take down. Hasn't eaten since molt and I know it's hungry out roaming around all the time, but when I put the worm by it, it did kind of a "half lunge" at it but immediately backed off and retreated into its den.

I moved the worm into the enclosure of my P. Audax jumping spider (who is at most half the size of the P. Gigas,) and she attacked and began devouring it within 30 seconds despite it being almost twice her size.

Unreal.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
cut the worms in halves or leave all the way pre killed worms for it to find on its own to eat

cold blood

Staff member
maybe its not ready to eat yet.

That said, just crush the mealworm head and leave it be...if the sling is hungry, it will eat....H. gigas are very good eaters.

8leggednights

Arachnopeon
My smallest still insists on me cutting up dinners- crickets only- refused mealworms & superworms. Try again later & they will eat if they get hungry enough.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you're referring to the orange arboreal tarantula species they are now Amazonius germani, they were revised earlier this year.

Hasn't eaten since molt and I know it's hungry out roaming around all the time, but when I put the worm by it, it did kind of a "half lunge" at it but immediately backed off and retreated into its den.
Maybe not ready yet.

In any case, you can always just pre-kill prey and leave it in there, slings/juvies will happily scavenge.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s clearly not interested at the moment, try again in a week and or leave prekilled as suggested. It will eat when it’s ready to!

loginsinker

Arachnopeon
If you're referring to the orange arboreal tarantula species they are now Amazonius germani, they were revised earlier this year.

Maybe not ready yet.

In any case, you can always just pre-kill prey and leave it in there, slings/juvies will happily scavenge.
What the heck. They already changed its name once lmao. Why they keep doing that?

cut the worms in halves or leave all the way pre killed worms for it to find on its own to eat
It eventually worked up the courage to snag a dead worm. Hurrah!