covered in beeeeeeeeeeeees

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any other beekeepers here? Tell me about your hives! :D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Beeeeessss!

Yay! I'm going to start keeping in the spring. All of my local dealers had sold all the bees by the time I convinced Mom to let me keep some in the yard... but a professor gave me the names of some other dealers, so this spring, I'm gonna get some!

I'm so excited. What are your hives like?

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I told my husband i wanted to start keeping bees, he wasn't too happy about the idea. :p

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm going to be taking one of those classes come the spring. Should be fun.

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
I'd like to keep them someday, even though (ironically), the only animal in the world I'm afraid of are bees/wasps/hornets. (Well, and I'm pretty leery of humans as well. ;) ) But I'd love to have the honey. I'd just approach the hive in full body armor!

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It sucks you guys live in places that aren't bee-friendly! :mad:

As for me, I keep my two hives "all wrong" according to the experts. Small cell bees on foundationless frames. No chemicals. The honey I use in my coffee every day is all the proof I need that it works. {D

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sucks you guys live in places that aren't bee-friendly! :mad:

As for me, I keep my two hives "all wrong" according to the experts. Small cell bees on foundationless frames. No chemicals. The honey I use in my coffee every day is all the proof I need that it works. {D
I'm interested in seeing pictures of your hives :)

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where at Midknight? I also am in OC, CA and would love to know where there are related classes.
I live in north OC, but i go to school at Cal Poly Pomona. Only reason i got into bugs was the entomology professor. He teaches a bee keeping class and a few other bug classes. Not sure how it would work to take one class there though.

Just checked ccc and they have a zoology class as well as gwc.

Last edited:

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yay! I'm going to start keeping in the spring. All of my local dealers had sold all the bees by the time I convinced Mom to let me keep some in the yard... but a professor gave me the names of some other dealers, so this spring, I'm gonna get some!

I'm so excited. What are your hives like?
Mind PMing me some of those sources? :)

I've always wanted to start a hive, even though I don't like honey. lol

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I thought I didn't like honey either, until I had some fresh local honey. It's a lot different from the crap you can buy at the grocery store. And they are lots of varietals that all taste different!

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi! I do keep two colonies of A. mellifera in Langstroth style hives. I do practice an urban rooftop apiary. I'm a beginner with only 1 year experience. I have only managed to harvest honey once. I do live in the tropics, so wintering is not an issue, but typhoons are a challenge.

I do find beekeeping more complex than scorpions or tarantulas. I'm still learning from my mistakes. I was able to split my hives before, but they absconded.

The unaldulterated honey tastes good! Mostly nectar from mango and narra trees.

Here are some random photos:

Last edited:

Vespula

Arachnodemon

I sent you an awesome link! You know, I didn't like honey either, until I had some right out of the hive. It tastes like nothing else. That store bought crud tastes nothing like it. It doesn't even compare!{D

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive been considering solitary bees. The Southern California varities are gorgeous(Im in Los Angeles).

I wanted to provide housing for them next to my garden.

Maybe this spring I'll get one of those $20 multi-cell enclosures.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know you can make those just by drilling the appropriate sized hole (Look up the species you want to attract and base the size off its nesting habits.) in untreated wood.(Just avoid pine and cedar woods)

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Ive been considering solitary bees. The Southern California varities are gorgeous(Im in Los Angeles).

I wanted to provide housing for them next to my garden.

Maybe this spring I'll get one of those $20 multi-cell enclosures.
That's expensive. I'd just drill some holes in a block of untreated wood. That works just as well, and isn't pricey. :D