Couple questions

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
Okay so I have a N.cromatus, and am getting a B.smithi soon. I had a couple quick questions. First I hear that you want an enclosure that is at least twice the leg span of your T. I was going to use shoe boxes from walmart, but the 11x4x4 ones just seemed too small.. I didn't really like them. What would you guys suggest? For T's like B.smithi that get around like 5-6". I know larger T's like T.blondi will need larger tubs. Also how much substrate should I add? The 11x4x4 walmart shoe box only has the height of 4"... so I wouldn't be able to add that much substrate. I'm wanting to get a couple shoe boxes that are same so I can stack them. What have you guys found works best for you? Also I was curious are females worth more than males since they live longer? Lastly, I was wondering whats the deal with with the hairs? I know they are very irretating, and only new world T's have them, but is there a sheet where I can read which ones are new world and which are old world?

Last edited:

Rue

Arachnoknight
Good questions!

And I imagine, as soon as we've actually 'done' an enclosure or two it will seem to be totally straightforward and not the least perplexing!:D

Blaze

Arachnopeon
personally, i wouldn't use a shoebox... i'd use a small plastic container... for my b smithi, i have her in a small critter keeper, with a hide and a water dish.. i mist every couple of days, as she is still a sling. and for substrate i use a mixture of peat and vermiculite. works swell.

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
How big is the spider the cage would be for? I use 6 qt. Sterilite tubs (About $1 at Target when they're on sale!) with holes burned in the sides with a wood burner for some of my Ts. They're stackable and super-easy to clean. There's a larger size (I think it's 15qt.) that's great for larger Ts, too.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
So I was at walmart yesterday and decided the shoe box ones were too small for an adult. I got I think a 15qt. Maybe 12qt? I don't know. The dimensions are 16.5x14.4x6.5. Something around there. That would be good for a full grown adult B.smithi correct?

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
My larger tubs are about the size of 10 gallon tanks with half the height, so I don't see why not, if that's what people are using for adults.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
The 12 quart sweater box is perfect for an adult. And at 6" it is deep enough that they can burrow. The 6 quart shoebox is fine for juvies and smaller species. Just make sure you drill/solder enough holes for adequate ventilation or you will have mould pretty fast.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
Awesome, I have about 4 holes on each side, I'm sure that will be good, if not, I'll add a few more later... So since the enclosure is 6" high how much substrate would you recomend me putting in? Someone told me about 2" for a B.smithi, should I have that much, or add another inch or so?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Two inches is fine, just give them hides as well. Four holes on each side may not be enough, those bins hold in humidity very well, which is one reason snake keepers use them. It may be too much humidity, you'll really have to keep an eye on it.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
Okay, well a guy I talked to said he does 4 holes on each side and it works for him. I'm not going to mist that much, only a very very light mist maybe once a week. I think it will be okay, but I'll keep an eye on her.