couple questions I can't seem to find answers for...

eporter

Arachnopeon
I have a rosie (Quincy) and I have had him for about 7 months. I have a couple of questions and yes I have read the tarantulas for beginners and the posts for rosie owners etc. that were posted on this site, very informative but i still have a couple of questions they don't seem to cover.

My first set of questions is in regard to my rosie, which just did his ultimate molt, and i'm very sure its a male, he has the bulbous pedipalps, and the hooks on his front legs (i looked at the sexing posts at the british tarantula society page (tarantulas.com ) and the posts here). What I want to know is that given that males don't live that long, I was wondering if anyone that has had a male rosie could give me an idea about how long he could possibly live? I have read any where from 3 months to 3.5 years after the final molt. Also what about eating habits? Do they change? I know these guys are neurotic anyway so I wouldn't put it past them to have a completly different set of rules here. Given he has just molted about 4 days ago i have seen some posts suggesting he won't eat for a few weeks, that he could eat immediatly uhhh, :confused: was hoping for some guidance here. Also what can i do to prolong his life? Even if he is a male, he is still very pretty.

My last question (believe it or not lol) is in regards to his water dish. I have a little plastic dish with a piece of antibacterial sponge that i keep pretty soaked but not slimy. I was wondering if this was the right way to go? I keep hearing and seeing vastly different opinions about the sponge. (To use or not to use that is the question...)

Oh and here is a pic, I would appreciate anyone's opinion on health. He looks okay to me, but I have little experience. My camera is takes pics that register above 1 mb, so getting it below 250 kb was difficult, so its not the best pic, but its the best that i can do

Attachments

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a MM rosie thats been with me as a MM for about a year,(who knows how long it will be before he passes).

Second, take the sponge out. Clean fresh water is all you need.

Third, feed him half as much as you did before and it should help prolong his life. I had two other MM of different species that I kept to twice a week feedings, and they died within months of maturing. My rosie, although usually long lived after maturing, is doing fine on half rations

GL

PIG-

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i feed my MM rosie 2 crickets a months, he matured september of 09, he is currently making a sperm web as i am posting this reply.

eporter

Arachnopeon
thanks for that :worship:, i will probably have to do that too. he didn't eat a lot in the months before his molt anyway. lol it kinda sucks though because i just bought a bunch a crickets b/c i thought he would be really hungary rigt after his molt.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He looks very healthy. I had a mature male G.rosea and he lived about two years after he matured.

eporter

Arachnopeon
thats great, i was hoping to hear tidbits of info like that. i was kinda bumbed out that it was male because i wouldn't be able to enjoy him that long, but a couple years is better then a few weeks or months :)

eporter

Arachnopeon
i've discovered that there is not alot of info on mature males on the forum, unless i'm just looking in the wrong spots :confused: its good to know that info will turn up if you ask for it :)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He looks very nice. It is not uncommon for males to be a little brighter or have more of that pretty irridescence than females. Nice to see that they can live quite awhile after they mature. I hope he is one of the 2 year ones!
You could always see if there is anyone in your area who has a mature female they want to breed. Then if they get a viable sack you could have a cute little baby rosie that is the son or daughter of your first one. Just a thought. :)

Knight in Gale

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He looks very healthy. I had a mature male G.rosea and he lived about two years after he matured.
me as well...ive heard reports that from 2nd instar to death on male G.rosea you can see almost 9 years. my male was about 5 when i got him and when he matured he lasted almost 2 full years before he wasted away. i bred him with a few females but they never produced anything.

eporter

Arachnopeon
hey the breeding thing is a good idea, will have to look that up. there's gotta be someone in the Pullman area that has a female lol

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My brother has a MM G. rosea that has lived for 4 years now past it's ultimate molt. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. It's his only tarantula, and he feeds and waters it "when he remembers" and the dang thing is still alive and actually looks pretty good. I keep telling him he should call the Guiness Book of World Records people. ;)

I've never had a male G. rosea myself, but the males I've had of other species typically last 18 to 30 months past the ultimate molt. My only tip would be to make sure they always have water. My mature males seem to drink more than my other t's (not proven fact, just a personal observation).

eporter

Arachnopeon
hey, thanks a lot, will have to keep my fingures crossed! I hope mine will last that long.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not to high jack the thread, but how can one tell if it's reached its "ultimate" molt?

(goes to search function after posting this)

PIC

Arachnopeon
it will get hooks on it's front leg's ( mating hooks)
My last rosie lasted two years after the dreaded hook's arrived!

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it will get hooks on it's front leg's ( mating hooks)
My last rosie lasted two years after the dreaded hook's arrived!
Nothing wrong with the comment above however this statement, while true for some T's, is not for all T's.

Some get Tibial Spurs or "hooks" while others do not. Just making that clear to those who might have taken this as a broad statement for all T's.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not to high jack the thread, but how can one tell if it's reached its "ultimate" molt?

(goes to search function after posting this)
As said, most (not all) species will get tibial hooks on their front legs and the ends of their pedipalps will appear rounder compared to a female or juvenile male.

Here's a pic of one of my MM G. rosea that shows these characteristics quite well (sorry for the picture quality, it was taken on a phone).....
[/IMG]

Hope this helps :).

eporter

Arachnopeon
that's what mine looks like too. i wonder how long it takes for rosie MM to decide when they want to make a sperm web??

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a friend that got a mature male Chilean rose (accidentally, it was sold as a female) and kept it at least six years after. Feedings were sporadic, cage was bone dry except for a nice water dish. I didn't realize her experience was not that uncommon. Good news for keepers of MM G. roseas. :)