couple of questions...

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I had something odd happen, the other day, while fishing out leftover, live cricks, out of my smithi tank. I use forceps, just in case. I'm getting pretty good with them, almost like they're a part of my hand.
Anywho, I was getting cricks, when one got right next to my smithi. I waited for it to get a bit away, when something strange happened. She half-heartedly tried to attack, and then stopped. Then, she lunged forward, extending a front leg from each side. (the first of the longer ones). She then proceded to drum them on the substrate very fast. Was she threatening? Or, trying to mate with a cricket? =D

Ok, my second. Adult tarantulas only molt once a year, right? I know if a trauma occurs, this can force a molt. Onto my weird rosie.
She has "holed" herself up in her cave. I checked, and nothing yet. However, she molted about 7 months ago, and in the process, replaced a leaky leg with a newer but, much skinnier leg. Could this be a molt to get a yet larger leg? I have checked her numerous times, and she has no physical deficits.
Thanks in advance...
Gillian

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe that t has something going on with that cricket....odd t if it does though :p

Risto

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Hi all,
I had something odd happen, the other day, while fishing out leftover, live cricks, out of my smithi tank. I use forceps, just in case. I'm getting pretty good with them, almost like they're a part of my hand.
Anywho, I was getting cricks, when one got right next to my smithi. I waited for it to get a bit away, when something strange happened. She half-heartedly tried to attack, and then stopped. Then, she lunged forward, extending a front leg from each side. (the first of the longer ones). She then proceded to drum them on the substrate very fast. Was she threatening? Or, trying to mate with a cricket? =D

Ok, my second. Adult tarantulas only molt once a year, right? I know if a trauma occurs, this can force a molt. Onto my weird rosie.
She has "holed" herself up in her cave. I checked, and nothing yet. However, she molted about 7 months ago, and in the process, replaced a leaky leg with a newer but, much skinnier leg. Could this be a molt to get a yet larger leg? I have checked her numerous times, and she has no physical deficits.
Thanks in advance...
Gillian
Gillian,

I'd say your smithi was trying to put off the cricket, by putting up a big show.

I wouldn't think the one year rule is set in stone.IMO
Depending on how much they eat and how warm their kept would have some effect on how quickly they would moult.
And the injured leg may very well cause an excellerated (sp ) moult. In the wild a T would need to regenerate a missing limb asap to be able to hunt, breed, ect. Again IMO.

Ernie

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
She half-heartedly tried to attack, and then stopped. Then, she lunged forward, extending a front leg from each side. (the first of the longer ones). She then proceded to drum them on the substrate very fast. Was she threatening? Or, trying to mate with a cricket? =D

Hi Gillian,
She was either threatening the cricket, telling it to back off, or she was trying to get it to move, so she could pinpoint it for a kill. I've had similar behaviour happen several times before.

Cheers,
Steve