Couple interesting behaviors witnessed.

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
So I fed my T's and routinely check in on the smaller slings making sure they eat or if they are refusing. I noticed a couple interesting things tonight and wondering if anyone else has seen such things from the particular species or other species.

1 - Fed my T. blondi 3" slings a couple 1/2 - 3/4" crickets. One of them made its nice little cricket ball then took it over to her water dish and began rolling the yummy goodness in her water. I've never seen this before.

2 - I have a Poecilotheria smithi that is a crazy ravenous pig. I mean it goes coo coo for cricket puffs. Bounces of the sides doing back flips etc until it catches the cricket exaggerating of course but it's pretty close to how aggressively it feeds. I've had it chase my finger when I've moved my hand over to grab the enclosure to move it back in line. Anyway the behavior this is really about it can never find the opening to it's dirt tunnel it's built up behind the cork bark piece I placed in the corner. It ends up bulldozing through the outside of the webbing between it and the container rather than actually going into it, separating what it's built up from the sides. None of the other pokies I have had or have, have this issue.

Geoff

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
1 - Fed my T. blondi 3" slings a couple 1/2 - 3/4" crickets. One of them made its nice little cricket ball then took it over to her water dish and began rolling the yummy goodness in her water. I've never seen this before.

One of the reasons to use disposable water bowls. What Theraphosa do in their water bowls is probably an EPA violation.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
One of the reasons to use disposable water bowls. What Theraphosa do in their water bowls is probably an EPA violation.
I was waiting for this reply! Haha. How bad is it actually compared to other species?

@OP: My P. fortis female likes to hang over her water bowl when she eats so that's always a bit interesting haha

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
Haha yeah. I have quickly realized the Vegas rule does not apply to Theraphosa water. What happens in Theraphosa water dish, DEFINITELY does not stay in Theraphosa water dish.

I was waiting for this reply! Haha. How bad is it actually compared to other species?

@OP: My P. fortis female likes to hang over her water bowl when she eats so that's always a bit interesting haha
My B. annitha does this while it eats as well.

Geoff