Could this hurt?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my GBB tank she has a hide that's about 4 in. long and shaped to fit in the corner of the tank all snug like. Well anybody who knows anything about the GBB's know that they web up like crazy so this makes it difficult to get the remains out of the hut without destroying her web. Will it do any damage to her if I leave them in there? I've even heard that some people leave the molt in there with them as well but I don't remember the reason. Just want to know. Thanks, Trey

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The molt shouldn't hurt anything. My GBB is kept too dry for anything to mold. I find my avics eventually eject their molts out of their webbing. I would just leave the molt in there.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wouldnt worry about it.also alot of times the tarantula will throw her molt out of the burrow when cleaning.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She molted a little over a month ago and i've already got that out. Im more concerned about the feeding remains. If that's going to hurt anything?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Howdy Trey,
Dont take this wrong but I'm gonna be honest with you. You are worrying about that spider waaaaaaaay too much. If you are keeping it very dry like you should, the bolus will not attract mites as they need a humid environment. So there is really no need to remove them. This species is virtually indestructable. As long as it is dry, temps are comfortable (around 70ishF) and you feed it, it will not only live but will thrive. These are probably more difficult to kill than to keep alive.
I'm not discouraging you from asking questions as that is how we learn. I just feel you are worrying alot over this spider and you really have no reason to worry. You are doing a fine job keeping it :)

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks alot Brian. I just gotta love my GBB!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As I said, I'm not trying to discourage you from asking Qs as much as I am trying to discourage you from worrying as much ;)

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Howdy Trey,
Dont take this wrong but I'm gonna be honest with you. You are worrying about that spider waaaaaaaay too much. If you are keeping it very dry like you should, the bolus will not attract mites as they need a humid environment. So there is really no need to remove them. This species is virtually indestructable. As long as it is dry, temps are comfortable (around 70ishF) and you feed it, it will not only live but will thrive. These are probably more difficult to kill than to keep alive.
I'm not discouraging you from asking questions as that is how we learn. I just feel you are worrying alot over this spider and you really have no reason to worry. You are doing a fine job keeping it :)

I am a new GBB owner as well. I have found Trey's questions helpful. In fact, many of the questions that I have, Trey posts before I get a chance ( thanx Trey BTW ) I too am guilty of worring too much. But honestly, if these questions make Trey feel more comfortable, ( and me too ) isnt that what the forum is all about ? I personally am not used to such low maintence pets...

Keep up the good work EVERYONE

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, wouldn't worry about it.

I've had two molts I could see in my P. murinus's 'hole'. The first eventually got wrecked by her. The second she has pressed up against the glass so I can see it...but getting to it would involve messing up her den...which i'm not willing to do. :? She must be taunting me! :D

~Fred

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am a new GBB owner as well. I have found Trey's questions helpful. In fact, many of the questions that I have, Trey posts before I get a chance ( thanx Trey BTW ) I too am guilty of worring too much. But honestly, if these questions make Trey feel more comfortable, ( and me too ) isnt that what the forum is all about ? I personally am not used to such low maintence pets...

Keep up the good work EVERYONE
Oh yes the Q's and A's are helpful, I cant deny that. I think nearly everyone will worry at least a little when they first start out, its just natural and I have been guilty of that myself. I would never discourage anyone to ask Q'S or seek knowledge. I am just trying to help a little with the worry factor is all :). Fortunately, the species in question is tuff as nails and as long as the basic husbandry is correct they will do very very well. Much different than dealing with some herps or other animals which I still worry about some of mine and I have had them for several years now LOL