Could this be an Australian tarantula on Youtube?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are hundreds of Youtube videos of American, Asian and African tarantulas but I just may have discovered one of the very few videos of Australian tarantulas on that popular video sharing website. The first tell tale sign is the long, oval shaped abdomen seen in one of the opening shots. The femurs are black and the rest of the body is a contrasting grey so there is a resemblance to some of the Phlogius species in the Selenocosmia group. Judging from it's temperament, it seems to have restrained aggression but aggression nonetheless. And aggression is also a characteristic trait of many Old World tarantulas.

However, I looked at the author's profile and he is located in the US. I seem to get the impression that the spider was photographed lurking around the outside of his home (which seems odd considering that it may be an Australian tarantula.) I hope it's not an escaped pet! Can any of the experts here confirm what nationality this tarantula is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BrtywmvKzk

regalis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He wrote this...

I found this large spider on my doorstep in Mbakaou, Cameroon.

Cameroon is in Africa..and looks Hysterocrates sp. to me.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah looks like a mature male hystocrates sp of some sort

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah looks like a mature male hystocrates sp of some sort
That would explain the abdomen shape. I could see were you are coming from though Dragonblade-a lot of Aussie T mature females have that peculiar abdomen shape.

Judging from it's temperament, it seems to have restrained aggression but aggression nonetheless. And aggression is also a characteristic trait of many Old World tarantulas.
I don't think this should be used as a means of identifying OW or NW tarantulas. The spider in the video was being annoyed from the front, and to throw a threat posture is a pretty automatic response. There are a number of NW tarantulas that have a reputation of a bad temperament i.e. T. blondi, L. parahybana etc

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"There are a number of NW tarantulas that have a reputation of a bad temperament i.e. T. blondi, L. parahybana etc"

Not to mention a few psychotic Chilean Roses...so Ive heard!