Could these be babies?

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
So I don't want to get my hopes up yet, but the night before last something very exciting happened: I saw two tiny millipedes up against the glass! :happy: However, they are very small and thin, about 1 cm (0.39 in) long and a bit less than 1 mm (0.039 in) wide. I don't know why but I expected a baby spirostreptid to be sort of shorter and fatter, not with the proportions of an adult millipede, so I'm wondering if these are perhaps native julids that came in with the substrate.
I definitely wasn't expecting to see babies so soon, since I don't even actually have a breeding pair yet. My A. gigas is female and was already an adult when I got her, but I'm not expecting these to be hers as I'm just a beginner and I know her species doesn't lay easily in captivity. That means if these are babies they probably come from one of my four Spirostreptidae species 8 females. I know my first was a juvenile when I got her and has since only mated with a male Delta Brown so I'm hoping they're not hers as I don't really want hybrids, but I was told that's very unlikely so I'm not too worried. That means they would have to have been laid by one of the three females I added on the 27 December this year. This is very surprising because I've only had them a little more than a month and I wasn't even sure they were adults when I bought them, which makes me think these guys probably are just hitchhikers. Unless I've been super lucky and have A. gigas babies? I don't know, what do you guy think?
20200209_152215.jpg
20200209_135226.jpg

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Looks like a millipede to me!
They're definitely millipedes, but it remains to be seen if they are Julida or Spirostreptida. I saw four against the glass today, so I hope they are baby Spirostreptids otherwise I have a bit of an invasion!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Those do look like julids to my eyes (A. gigas babies typically don't have such visible ozopores or at least not in those numbers, and your S. sp. "8" would take a bit longer to hatch from my understanding if there are eggs in the enclosure), but the angle and lighting is not very good, so I very well could be wrong. Can you get one out and get a clearer photo of it?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Those do look like julids to my eyes (A. gigas babies typically don't have such visible ozopores or at least not in those numbers, and your S. sp. "8" would take a bit longer to hatch from my understanding if there are eggs in the enclosure), but the angle and lighting is not very good, so I very well could be wrong. Can you get one out and get a clearer photo of it?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Ah well, at least they're quite cute invaders. :confused: Their ozopores are very visible. I'll try and get a good photo this weekend, but I won't be home until then.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I think larger millipede babies look very different from adults and that they're usually born with about 6 legs. They grow more legs through successive molts.

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
I think larger millipede babies look very different from adults and that they're usually born with about 6 legs. They grow more legs through successive molts.
Yes, that's what I thought as well, I just wanted to double check. :)