could someone show me...

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
exactly how to make a hammock style icubator?, is this how i do it, take a plastic cup and put about an 1" of vermiculite in the bottom with a mixture of water(doses it have to be pretty moist), then use smaller cup that fits the bigger one , put holes in the bottom for moisture to pass through, and then use panty hose or paper towel to place the eggs on? then a lid?, anyone know of a diagram anywhere for this?, and also when rolling the eggs daily is that exactly what i do ? just roll them around gently?, thanks--Jeff

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I took a 6.75" deli cup that is 4.5" high (I think). I put about an inch of peat in the bottom and soaked it. I read a previous post which stated perlite would probably be a better substrate, but I had peat on hand. I put the eggs in a clean dry paper towel and and brought the ends up together to form a "sack". Then I tied off above where the eggs settled in the bottom of the sack with a bread twist-tie. I trimmed off the excess paper towel and use the end of the twist tie to hang the "sack" on the edge of the deli cup. The lid will still snap in place over the twist-tie.

As far as rolling goes, I take the sack out daily and check the eggs. After I resecure the sack with the twist tie, I just hold onto the excess paper towel and turn the sack side to side and upside down. When I put the sack back into the deli cup, I try to turn it to where it doesn't hang in the same position as before.

This has been my only experience in this area, but it has been successful.

Botar

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

thanks botar, hopefully i'll get lucky here soon, i'm gonna try breeding P. murinus(already found some males) and G. pulchra, well this will be after i get my females setteld in and doing good, and after a molt of cousre, thanks again--Jeff

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ATS sells a manual with instructions on how to make a "mechanical Mom" incubator for egg sacs.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I just purchased this book recently and found it to be very technical. It requires alot of electric knowledge, that i know nothing about. I just wanted to learn how to make a cheap deli cup incubater.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanx Mr.T

Great thread, just what i was looking for !:)