what exactly is epiandrous fusillae?

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
could someone please explain to me what epiandrous fusillae are and how it can be used to sex! i posted these images on facebook and allot of people said it was a male but one person said that he thought it was female because their was no epiandrous fusillae now i would love for this little fella to be a female so id love to know more about epiandrous fusillae and how likely it is that he is a male? and what exactly is epiandrous fusillae... also am i just clutching at false hope because overwhelmingly although admitadly in a far less experienced area (moms and amature hobbyists mostly) the response was male, and i have to admit even with the zero knowledge that i have i dont see what i would assume would be a slit of some sort anywhere on its abdomen.. from a quick google search epiandrous fusillae are some sort of hairs? their wasnt much info that i could find i dont really know how they could be used for sexing so any tips on sexing in general epiandrous fusillae or without i would apreciate!

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
I just realised that now and have posted a pic their 2 but I was hoping I could keep this thread open as I would quite like for someone to explain the process a little bit in more detail so that I can learn a bit more! Might edit the post a tiny bit to reflect the more educational aspect to my question!i hope that is ok! as i would like to find out more about epiandrous fusillae

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Epiandrous fusillae aren't hairs or setae, but rather additional spinnerets only located on male spiders. They create the special webbing (sperm web) they use for loading up their pedipalps for mating.

This link (<--click "This link") has always been my go-to when people ask about ventral sexing, and it's what helped me understand it. It may take a few reads to fully grasp it (at least it did for me), but it includes pictures and really helps explain what to look for with ventral sexing

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
could someone please explain to me what epiandrous fusillae are and how it can be used to sex!

Google- that's what I did years ago and learned from one of the world's experts! It's amazing what information is found for free @moricollins

Last edited by a moderator:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Epiandrous fusillae aren't hairs or setae, but rather additional spinnerets only located on male spiders.
This is one of those statements that require a bit of nit-picking for the sake of clarity. The epiandrous fusillae are not spinnerets but a type of silk spigot which can be defined as a type of hollow seta which contains a duct connecting to a silk gland. The spinnerets, located on the abdomen, are the appendages that are covered with silk spigots. The spinnerets themselves don't produce silk, but they posses the hairs- or setae- that connect to the glands that do.

For a more detailed analysis of what the epiandrous fusillae are, see the following article.

Ferretti, N., Pompozzi, G., Copperi, S., Wehitt, A., Galíndez, E., González, A., & Pérez-Miles, F. (2017). A comparative morphological study of the epiandrous apparatus in mygalomorph spiders (Araneae, Mygalomorphae). Micron, 93, 9-19.

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
This is one of those statements that require a bit of nit-picking for the sake of clarity. The epiandrous fusillae are not spinnerets but a type of silk spigot which can be defined as a type of hollow seta which contains a duct connecting to a silk gland. The spinnerets, located on the abdomen, are the appendages that are covered with silk spigots. The spinnerets themselves don't produce silk, but they posses the hairs- or setae- that connect to the glands that do.

For a more detailed analysis of what the epiandrous fusillae are, see the following article.

Ferretti, N., Pompozzi, G., Copperi, S., Wehitt, A., Galíndez, E., González, A., & Pérez-Miles, F. (2017). A comparative morphological study of the epiandrous apparatus in mygalomorph spiders (Araneae, Mygalomorphae). Micron, 93, 9-19.
Thank you for that! I honestly didn't know that, so that was extremely informative. Now I just have to decide if I really want to go past the paywall on the article, as your explanation and the abstract of the article make it really tempting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you for that! I honestly didn't know that, so that was extremely informative. Now I just have to decide if I really want to go past the paywall on the article, as your explanation and the abstract of the article make it really tempting.
If you can identify an email, just email the author. Every scientist I’ve contacted has given me their article.

Perez is well known- his email is at the page on ScienceDirect for the paper.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Epiandrous fusillae aren't hairs or setae, but rather additional spinnerets only located on male spiders. They create the special webbing (sperm web) they use for loading up their pedipalps for mating.

This link (<--click "This link") has always been my go-to when people ask about ventral sexing, and it's what helped me understand it. It may take a few reads to fully grasp it (at least it did for me), but it includes pictures and really helps explain what to look for with ventral sexing
Thanks this was a great find! Thanks so much for posting it! It makes allot more sense to me know! Ima watch a few more YouTube videos to get some more practice in and hopefully next time my t molts if I cant tell from the molt il be good enough to ventrally sex the lil fella lol il still probs have to ask for help here tho when the time comes lol