Could my B. smithi have died while molting, or is it just taking a long time?

BosleyBugg

Arachnopeon
I have a 1/2" B. smithi and 2 or 3 days ago when I checked on my tarantulas I saw he was in the middle of molting. He hasn't moved since then, he's not on his back, and he looks like he's half in and half out of his old skin. I'm worried about him, because I don't know if he's dead, dying, or just taking his sweet time to molt. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Lumberguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it's been 2-3 days, I'd be inclined to think it has died. It takes that long to harden up after a molt, so if it were alive it'd be hardened in that position. Try sniffing the container and seeing if it smells like a bug has died (don't know if you'll smell anything for sure).

Sorry bout that - things like this happen to slings a lot more than they do to adults.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I agree, at that size it is likely dead. Slings take alot less time than adults to moult, usually only a couple hours. Even for an adult 2-3 days is too long to be in a moult like that. Sorry for your loss.

BosleyBugg

Arachnopeon
:( if he is dead, was it something I did? I'm afraid to dispose of him in case he actually is still alive.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
:( if he is dead, was it something I did? I'm afraid to dispose of him in case he actually is still alive.
It's dead, you will have to get a new T or two or three to take it's place. It just happens sometimes.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If he is still alive and half in and half out of a molt freeze it and end the suffering! Dont let it slowly die!

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
I had a 28 year old B. Smithi who died during her molt. She was on her back for about 30 hours, so I moved her enclosure to a humid and warm place and she almost immediately started to try and molt. About a hour later she was stuck half in and out and there was hemo around her fangs..It was devistating, especially for her being that age..but they are right, this kind of thing happens. Always make sure there is enough heat and humidity for your T to molt comfortably..

Lumberguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd be inclined to say, as I said above, that this is just something that happens, and it's no fault of yours. I know that you feel bad, but don't feel TOO bad... Nature almost always knows best, if you know what I mean.