Could it be true?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I just looked in at my P.transvaalicus female and she is FAT. I would actualy hazard a guess that she is gravid and approaching pop time. Now, whether this is from a mating she had before I got her or from one of the initial attempts back shortly after I got her, I don't know. I'm just hoping it is because she is gravid and not just because she is a pig. :)

Cheers,
Dave

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dave have you heard anybody having success raising p.trans babies? That would be awesome.:D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If I remember correctly, I have indeed heard of people raising them. Can't remember who or when, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the likes of Gaban do it on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Dave

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you believe swifts just posted in the new arrivels that they have captive born p.trans lol.:D

TempestGarden

Arachnopeon
Yeah... in my experience Parabuthus spp. aren't the easiest species to raise from tiny young into adulthood. I have tried myself to raise P. transvaalicus in the past and they didn't survive past the 3rd instar stage. :( What I found to be the biggest mistake I made?? Deli cups as housing arrangements!! It appears that for younger Parabuthus scorpions to successfully molt into adulthood they need the security of a burrow right from the beginning. So... if I were to try once again, or give advice to others, I would say it would be best to set them up with as natural a habitat as possible right from the onset. I have talked to a few others that have had some success with this method, including Dave Gaban. :D So, hopefully your female is pregnant and perhaps these "tips" will help you or others to raise up happy, healthy scorps....

Jeff Hall :p

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I`lltell you one thing.....I sure hope so!!!=D :D =D

Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a pair of young P. trans which I acquired after the second molt and they are about an inch long now, maybe a slight bit more. I had no problems keeping them in a deli cup and the same strategies of dampening the substrate so it would be able to be burrowed in, have succeeded very well, as with the adults. All the other young in the group had been killed under the other keeper's care. The deli cup is right at four inches across. Humidity and temps are kept the same between the adults and young, females almost always seeming to prefer higher temps, even from the young age they were acquired.

adios,
edw. ;)

TempestGarden

Arachnopeon
It looks like you haev successfully created the "micro environment" for your P. transvaalicus youngsters that I was talking about, but probably didn't get across that well in my post. In my situation, the deli cups that I was using to house the young scorps were way to small, in hindsight. Had they have been much bigger and allowed for proper burrowing, I might still have the babies to this day...

Jeff Hall :8o