Could I use prey that is too small?

Aqual

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if I could use a cockroach that is too small for the tarantula?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
what do you mean? I mean there is no harm in that, but I guess you shoud feed more often then haha :) what's the size of the roach and what of the spider?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Some more info would be nice...
If your feeder is too small, the T might not recognize it as prey and just be annoyed by it.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the prey is too small, your spider will end up with a new roommate (or a pet?) instead of dinner - and, like most roommates, it can end up causing stress. It may not leave dirty socks on the floor or drink the last of the beer and "forget" to buy more - but digging and scrabbling around while your tarantula is trying to relax (or molt) is every bit as irritating.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've not had trouble with small prey. I know a lot of people say to give X size prey item to X size T. As long as it isn't tiny I've had larger Ts eat some pretty small prey.

Like was mentioned earlier, if it's smaller you may have to feed more often than if you used a larger prey item.

cold blood

Staff member
I've not had trouble with small prey. I know a lot of people say to give X size prey item to X size T. As long as it isn't tiny I've had larger Ts eat some pretty small prey.

Like was mentioned earlier, if it's smaller you may have to feed more often than if you used a larger prey item.
agreed...i have a large P. vitatta that really likes mealworms...so be it....i just feed a couple at a time and a little more often.