Could I get these species with my experience?

TarantulaBella

Arachnopeon
Hi! I have three tarantulas and would love to get more. I have a B. hamorii, B. albopilosum, and G. rosea. I have a list of species I want and would like to know if you think I could get them.
B. emilia and vagans
G. pulchripies and pulchra
A. chalcodes and seemanni
A. geniculata
Lasiodora paraphybana
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Nhandu chromatus
Hapalopus sp. Columbia Large

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
All you listed are fine with your experience. The H. Sp. colombia may be a little fast. You may need to get used to that quickly

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I would like to recommend the C. Cyaneopubescens and the A. Geniculata

The C. Cyaneopubescens is beautiful and eats like a tank.

The A. Geniculata looks great as well and eats like a bigger tank

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Not sure what the general consensus is on A. seemanni's speed/defensiveness is, but my girl is always on edge. She can be speedy and/or feisty sometimes, but besides that, I'd say your list would be just fine to chose from.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi! I have three tarantulas and would love to get more. I have a B. hamorii, B. albopilosum, and G. rosea. I have a list of species I want and would like to know if you think I could get them.
B. emilia and vagans
A. geniculata
Lasiodora paraphybana
Nhandu chromatus
I would agree with others, that is a good list of species for you. Like was stated above, watch out for the urticating setae of the LP, and beware of the skittishness and speediness of the C. cyaneopubescens , especially before it gets a chance to establish its webbed wonderworld.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I have a C. cyaneopubescens and an A. geniculata as my second Ts. Got em at the same time. As wee little babies. The genic is smaller but definitely more of a speed demon so far. The GBB mostly just hides in his web. Its nice when he comes out, though.
Edit: made me wanna look at him. Then he teleported to the other side of his enclosure. So. Let me correct myself. "mostly just hides in his web until he decides his name is Usain Bolt. Never underestimate.

Attachments

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would suggest holding off on the Nhandu maybe.. They have some of the worst urticating hairs of any Theraphosids.. Much worse than LP.. They are also the most defensive on your list..

A.geniculata is another I might suggest you steer clear of for the momemt.. They have an insane feeding responce and I have seen them yank tongs from grown men. It might be a little unsettling for you while doing cage maintenance..

A.seemani is suitable if you give it plenty of substrate to make a burrow.. If you house it on just a few inches of substrate with a hide it's going to be one of the fastest and most highstrung Tarantulas you own.. For an aphno they are lightning fast..

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Not sure what your experience is -- you state that you have 3 tarantulas already, but you don't mention if you've had them for 1 month, 1 year or 10 years (meaning, simply, I don't know your experience level in recognizing normal behaviours, completing rehousings, witnessing moults, etc.).
That said, many listed in your wishlist are fairly beginner-ish.

There's lots of excellent threads on this forum; and usually someone around who will gladly troubleshoot with you if you should run into any issues.
Good luck. Ts can be addictive....

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think most of those are within your range, assuming you have been keeping your current three for at least a few months.

I can't add much to the pros and cons that have not already been said, so I'll just say that I love my Grammostola pulchra. Everyone should be so lucky to have one. (It's like the black lab of tarantulas.)

But if you're looking for something that behaves differently from what you already have, get the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (webber), Acanthoscurria geniculata (eating machine), or Aphonopelma seemanni (burrower).

A.geniculata is another I might suggest you steer clear of for the momemt.. They have an insane feeding responce and I have seen them yank tongs from grown men. It might be a little unsettling for you while doing cage maintenance..
I think the Acanthoscurria geniculata would be manageable for her when starting from a sling. That way, her experience grows with it, and the increase in strength is gradual (instead of suddenly being presented with the strength of a 7-8" adult).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I think most of those are within your range, assuming you have been keeping your current three for at least a few months.

I can't add much to the pros and cons that have not already been said, so I'll just say that I love my Grammostola pulchra. Everyone should be so lucky to have one. (It's like the black lab of tarantulas.)

But if you're looking for something that behaves differently from what you already have, get the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (webber), Acanthoscurria geniculata (eating machine), or Aphonopelma seemanni (burrower).

I think the Acanthoscurria geniculata would be manageable for her when starting from a sling. That way, her experience grows with it, and the increase in strength is gradual (instead of suddenly being presented with the strength of a 7-8" adult).
Yup Totally agree.. I would consider all of the species the OP asked about suitable.. Just out of the ones listed a few are a little more temperamental/ quirky..

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
B. emilia/vagans - Both fine.
G. pulchripes/pulchra - Both fine.
A. chalcodes/seemanni - Both fine.
A. geniculata - Fine as long as you remember that they think everything is food and act accordingly, long tongs are your friend, their hairs are moderately itchy to me.
Lasiodora parahybana - Same as A. geniculata but they don't look anywhere near as good and the hairs are so much worse.
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Fine but be aware that they are quite fast and can be quite skittish, slings are awesome and grow fast.
Nhandu chromatus - Fine but these are quite quick and somewhat skittish/defensive, I'd recommend getting a sling, they grow like weeds and eat like tanks, can't say for the hairs, people claim they're the worst, I've only been haired once by my juvie female which did nothing.
Hapalopus sp. Columbia Large - I have no experience with these but should be fine

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
N
B. emilia and vagans
A. geniculata
Lasiodora paraphybana
Nhandu chromatus
Nice choices, you'll have no problem with these sp. as long as you take things carefully as you already know, the main one would be the Genic as it thinks every thing is food.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
B. emilia and vagans
A. geniculata
Lasiodora paraphybana
Nhandu chromatus
Absolutely! Most of these are beginner T's!

I will say though that Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Nhandu chromatus and Hapalopus sp. Columbia Large are all flighty/skittish and can be rather nasty (defensive) at times, both hair kicking and threat posture. I had a Nhandu chromatus that would kick, threat posture and strike. The Nhandu hairs are known to irritate more than the average.

I say get the A. geniculata or G. pulchripes!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
B. emilia and vagans
A. geniculata
Lasiodora paraphybana
Nhandu chromatus
A G. pulchripes sling was my first tarantula. N. chromatus was my second, and an LP was one of my thirds. I don't have any first hand experience with any of the others on your list but my opinion is that at least the three I mentioned are all fine for a beginner, as long as you do your research beforehand and know what you're getting yourself into. My G. pulchripes will fast and bury itself for months prior to a molt, so if you're a worrier like me, that can be a bit stressful emotionally but they are otherwise ridiculously simple to care for. But considering you already have experience with a G. rosea, fasting should be nothing new to you. Lol. My N.chromatus can be the most defensive little devil ever and has literally kicked hairs at fruitflies a fraction of it's size. It's easy to care for, but you need to keep those hairs in mind. I know a lot of people warn of LPs being kickers, but mine has only ever kicked once, and that was only when it was in heavy premolt and I accidentally spooked it. Otherwise, it is one of my calmest tarantulas and best eaters. Just remember to keep in mind their size, as they do get massive and they get massive fast. Be sure you can accommodate it. While I repeat that I have no first hand experience with any of the others on your list, based on my own prior research, I don't see why you couldn't handle a B. vagans, G. pulchra, A. chalcodes, or C. cyaneopubescens. I've never personally researched the others, so I can't give you any input on them. But one thing you have to keep in mind is that all tarantulas are individuals, so they might not always conform to species norms. You could get a "normally" docile species that turns out to be a demon spawn, or you could get a species known for it's aggression and it turns out to be like a puppy. It's really all about doing your research, making sure YOU feel ready for a species, and being prepared for the unexpected. Regardless, I wish you luck in your endeavors and good luck with whatever you choose next! :)