Could anyone tell me about Aphonopelma serratum and vorhiesi

Neot

Arachnopeon
I want to know temperament and fully grown size of Aphonopelma serratum and A. vorhiesi, does anyone has some experience with them?
I enjoy keeping my Aphonopelma bicoloratum, it looks like a war tank and very calm. So I want to get another one of this species because I heard that they have similar temperaments.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want to know temperament and fully grown size of Aphonopelma serratum and A. vorhiesi, does anyone has some experience with them?
I enjoy keeping my Aphonopelma bicoloratum, it looks like a war tank and very calm. So I want to get another one of this species because I heard that they have similar temperaments.
Hey maybe i can help with the A serratum as i currently have a mature male that i raised from a 1/2" sling in my collection.

As you know each tarantula is an individual and this is based around my personal experience my A serratum was the sweetest most docile tarantula untill it's penultimate moult when it became a true devil in every sense.
They are fantastic eaters, they only refuse food when in pre moult. A serratum seem to grow very fast for this genus as my male matured in just over 2 and a half years he maxed out at out at around 4" which from information i gathered is about average for a male, females on the other hand are said to hit around 5.5" with the odd one or two hitting 6" max. Btw if you haven't seen a serratum in the flesh be prepared to be stunned because they are simply beautiful this is my male and the picture really doesn't do it justice

Attachments

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the question is "Should I get more Aphonopelmas?" the answer is always going to be yes.

@johnny quango For real?! I've had mine for 2 years and they're still 1", what temp you keep yours at? Dang, you've got me real impatient to see their adult colors now.

Mine seem to be a bit skittish. A few weeks ago when I picked up one of the slings' enclosures to feed them, it went berserk and started flicking hairs like crazy before I'd even opened the lid.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Cavedweller i only came back into the hobby January 2013 and i started with 3 tarantulas a G pulchra,Gbb and a B emilia the serratum was my 5th purchase the exact date of purchase 11th April 2014 it was only a 1.5cm sling. When it arrived i fed it extra as it seemed really tiny and fragile but after 2-3 moults it went on the same feeding schedule as my others thats twice weekly unless post moult, The temps are always mid to late 70s with the extra boost from a space heater if needed. Believe it or not but I've had a Brachypelma verdezi do the same sort of thing that was bought as a 1" sling and is now fully matured

user 666

Arachnobaron
I have an A vorhiesi. It's about 1.5" in size right now, so I can't comment on the adult behavior.

In the interest of crowd-sourcing a care sheet, I can tell you that after a week I am wondering whether to classify this desert dwelling species as a fossorial. I have it housed on a mix of sand, coco fiber, and clay (3:1:1) and it has already dug down from its hide and started a tunnel complex.

I am keeping it on dry substrate at the same temp as my other Ts (70 to 80 degrees). It is being fed twice a week.

Corine

Arachnopeon
I realize it's an older topic, but since I just picked up an A. vorhiesi female I'm interested in knowing more about this species. I'm not finding a lot online at all, so I'm assuming it's not a popular pet species?

Attachments