Could anyone ID this spider please?

Iancuff

Arachnopeon
Hi I think I have a false widow infestation in my loft but have recently found a couple in the house, could anyone confirm what species this is? I live in North Wales
It looks likke Steatoda Grossa to me. I'm also assuming that most of the reports in the British media are greatly exaggerated about them being dangerous?
Thanks guys
Ian

Attachments

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Yup. Definitely some sort of Steatoda sp. Totally harmless. Most media sources don't know squat about spiders;)

These are fun to keep, btw! I had one for a while. Very enthusiastic eaters.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Biollantefan54 @Anoplogaster How you two reached these conclusions so easily from an odd glop in an out of focus photograph would be illuminating. Your databases coughed up a whole series of facts, from location and habits of the animal in question, along with the locale, and reached a quite logical conclusion. Sort of a simplified Spider ID 101 introduction.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well Europe limits a lot of crazy looking spiders already. Steatoda grossa starts off looking like that with the white patterns, I've seen them all my life here. If you have a different spider you think it could be I'd love to hear because I'd be very shocked if it isn't Steatoda.

Iancuff

Arachnopeon
Just added a better pic at the bottom thanks for replies and info. Have seen plenty in our garage and the garden and lots in the loft (including a huge one about size of a 50p coin with leg span) but very few in the house. Was just wary as I have young children incase they were a hazard

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
@Biollantefan54 @Anoplogaster How you two reached these conclusions so easily from an odd glop in an out of focus photograph would be illuminating. Your databases coughed up a whole series of facts, from location and habits of the animal in question, along with the locale, and reached a quite logical conclusion. Sort of a simplified Spider ID 101 introduction.
Well, Steatoda also happens to be an extremely diverse genus. So an ID down to genus, in case, doesn't really bring us much closer to the answer. I certainly would not be able to determine species from a pic like that.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Steatoda actually can be medically significant in certain situations, as their venom is systemic like Latrodectus and works very similarly.

however it is of course significantly less potent