Could anyone ID this beetle?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey
I found this beetle yesterday in my garden walking around kind of like a robot would.
I think it's a carnivorous beetle, but i just want to be sure. 20170321_181213.jpg 20170321_180850.jpg

Calopteryx

Arachnopeon
Looks like a weevil (Curculionidae), probably from the genus Otiorhynchus. I'm not sure of the exact species.
They are herbivorous beetles and feed on all sorts of plants.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Looks like a weevil (Curculionidae), probably from the genus Otiorhynchus. I'm not sure of the exact species.
They are herbivorous beetles and feed on all sorts of plants.
Alright, thanks. What would you suggest i use for it's enclosure?

Calopteryx

Arachnopeon
I'm not really sure, I haven't heard of anyone keeping these yet. I guess you would have to find out what kind of plants it likes to eat and put either a few twigs of it or a live plant in the tank. Maybe provide some pieces of bark as hiding spots and a few branches to climb on? I don't know if all the water they need is provided by the plants, so maybe mist the enclosure once in a while to give it an opportunity to drink.

Your best bet would be to find out the species and see if you can find some information on their life cycle.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I only found one weevil in my life at a similar size and it was brown. I never even knew weevils came in that black color. It's just so beautiful.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only found one weevil in my life at a similar size and it was brown. I never even knew weevils came in that black color. It's just so beautiful.
There's certainly much colorful weevils out there. It's a huge family.

Most species tend to specialize on just a few similar food sources, and occasionally on just one.

The majority of them spend most of their lives as larvae hidden away inaccessible places. Generally, the adults don't tend to do much but reproduce, and only occasionally feed, if at all.

I'd let it go, but if you want to keep it your best bet would be, as stated above, IDing the species.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I knew about the other colors, just not the black! The blue ones are one of my favorites too.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
I never even knew they were rare, i could just go out and find some in the summer where i live.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That looks more like a Tenebrionidae to me, (darkling beetle) - maybe not, but difficult to tell from the pics, need a face closeup

Last edited: