- Aug 14, 2019
I know this is probably a stupid question, but expectably little info exists regarding millipede edibility to humans. Some sites mention to avoid eating them, but it doesn’t go into detail in what it could actually do to the body. I am not actually considering eating a millipede, I am just interested in how the human body would react. I assume the benzoquinones and/or especially the hydrogen cyanide would be pretty toxic to ingest, but I wonder if there could be a way to cook millipedes that emit only benzoquinones in such a way that it nullifies or removes the toxins. Of course if it doesn’t work you’ll probably get chemical burns all in your throat. I hear all millipedes have chemical defenses, so is this 100% true? Could there in theory be an edible millipede?