Could A. Australis Be Gravid??

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've had this scorp for like 3 years now. she is getting really really fat with the same food intake as normal. could she be gravid and dropping after 3 years? is that possible? as for her size she is pretty big like 3 inches or so.
and yes she is nasty....very nasty...she attacks her cork hide everytime i put it back in her enclosure.
any input guys? :?
thanks in advance\
tom (moose)

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its not gravid, and starting one thread is sufficient to get a question answered

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would have to agree, unless there is a tank mate that you don't know about.

About the extra posts, did your computer st*st*stutter a few times?

I apologize in advance for my non politically correct attempt at humor. It is not my intent to insult anyone.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry guys

yea my 1999 dell stutterrrrreded. sorry about that i couldn't figure out how to delete the extra posts.
anyway i was curious because she seems to have doubled in size in the past 2 weeks or so(i mean in fattness) lots of space between the tergum and the intersegmental membrane. i had a vinagroon and after almost 4 years she dropped an eggsack. but my dumbass took her out to take pictures to post here. then no more eggsack:wall: :wall: :wall:
i was just wondering if this was possible or if anyone else had an experience

oh yea she has always been kept at room temp. but recently i put all my inverts into nice locked glass cases and keep the heat up....closer to 80degrees. the normal temps were 70-72. does this have anything to do with it?
thanks again guys
tom (moose)

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dunno why nobody has any input for me

just an update. my scorp is still getting fatter. if there is anything else besides her being gravid such as any possible illness or anything like that.
please help me out guys
do you guys want any pics?
let me know
thanks in advance again guys
tom

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll start by saying I don't know ANYTHING about this spp :confused: except what I read. Here is some info I found.

"In ideal captive conditions, gestation lasts from 4 to 6 months."

You've had it 3 years so a birth should have occurred if it was gravid when you purchased/obtained it. :p

"With sufficiently high temperatures, scorplings will molt and grow without problem, rather quickly. Seven to eight moults (A.australis) are necessary (about 2 years) to reach the last instar. The longevity of Androctonus spp can vary according to the provided temperature, the presence or not of a resting phase during the winter, the frequency of feeds, etc… but they usually live 4 to 5 years.

Again 3 years puts it in the last instar, 60% of it's life is over. And if there is no other scorpion that could inseminate it I can't see how it is now gravid. I also can't see it as a moult as at 2 years it'll have moulted its last. :cool:

I would say it is just storing food, or is just well fed. ;)

Abouve quote found on The Scorpion Fauna - Care sheet : Androctonus spp There are several pictures at that link also showing some very fat specimens with no mention of those specimens being gravid.

Here is a link to a pic of a Androctonus australis gravid female Found on The Venom List Post #2

Hope this is of some use. & Sorry for my lack of personal experience.

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the info

i'll have to post pics cause my girl is fatter then the one thats supposed to be gravid.
pics coming soon
later
tom