Cotztetlana sp

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
240B2E59-78CA-467E-9A0A-B03FB6043E60.jpeg

Just rehoused the other female and the male. He’s definitely way more skittish than the females, but just as beautiful.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
C3C12F50-43C5-4EDF-BC69-DAB5442443C5.jpeg A190ADCC-3714-4235-8A36-31D946813BF7.jpeg E9ADAC77-491F-4737-85AF-3BF6972233ED.jpeg 1E46DCA5-5D02-4B56-A5DE-EBF624673907.jpeg

Apparently 1 feeding was enough, because the female molted again, giving me an excuse to move her to a better enclosure. She’s joining her siblings in well furnished cubes with lots of sub!

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Well, on this lovely Valentine’s Day, it seems that I was wrong... and I have 3 females! :astonished:

I’m over the moon but now this means I need to get males from somewhere...

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
While I don't have any accompanying pictures this time, they've grown considerably and are still doing excellently. I mentioned it in another thread but I've had the strange experience of them blocking themselves off by mistake on several occasions due to their propensity to burrow nonstop and pile their substrate exceedingly high, to the lid of the enclosure even. While they've all been relatively surface active they are INCREDIBLE burrowers, I would consider them having the substrate needs of a fossorial from my experience with them so far, and they'll be getting that type of setup very soon.

I'll be sure to update with pictures when they do :)

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
C4F77DA9-70E0-4F8C-B728-2A44963087E9.jpeg 51D5EC26-6398-4CAC-ADFA-C3F1648169D8.jpeg E32A5791-FD0D-4287-83E6-DA5581EE110F.jpeg 19CAFC3C-5C4C-41C6-ACA9-A9270FF46FB8.jpeg 280A7512-5CD6-4C3C-BFA3-6A21E6CF4F9C.jpeg

My largest female got an upgrade yesterday, to a much larger enclosure with some live plants as well.

damien88

Arachnopeon
Can we get more updates. I'm loving this story. Did the little sling make it? I'd love to see pics of them now. I know this is from some months back but I'm curious. Awesome species

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Can we get more updates. I'm loving this story. Did the little sling make it? I'd love to see pics of them now. I know this is from some months back but I'm curious. Awesome species
All three slings ended up female, and have grown into healthy juvies! I actually ended up trading away a female for some slings of Cotztetlana sp “Guanajuato”. Unfortunately due to some packing issues there were 4 DOAs, and so I am now left with only 1 sling of Cotztetlana sp “Guanajuato”. I have also picked up 3 Cotztetlana omiltemi, however one of the slings has been struggling a lot, and has shown some abnormal white patches under the abdomen, so I suspect it may not make it as far.

Hopefully I can give more positive updates on the new species in the future, and I’ll try to get some new photos soon! The Puebla females are absolutely stunning now, and the back legs have started to really show.

Last edited:

damien88

Arachnopeon
All three slings ended up female, and have grown into healthy juvies! I actually ended up trading away a female for some slings of Cotztetlana sp “Guanajuato”. Unfortunately due to some packing issues there were 4 DOAs, and so I am now left with only 1 sling of Cotztetlana sp “Guanajuato”. I have also picked up 3 Cotztetlana omiltemi, however one of the slings has been struggling a lot, and has shown some abnormal white patches under the abdomen, so I suspect it may not make it as far.

Hopefully I can give more positive updates on the new species in the future, and I’ll try to get some new photos soon! The Puebla females are absolutely stunning now, and the back legs have started to really show.
Sry for the losses. I was about to get some of the Cotztetlana species from fear not tarantulas. I'm not jumping in just yet bc I have a decent size order already. They just seem really cool. Also like the story u posted and watching them grow up. U can start to see the "big legs" start to show. Appreciate the update. Hope all works out for the new sling u got 🙏

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I bought a male/ female pair of Cotztetlana sp. "Puebla" back in 2016 and my male matured today. To my surprise, it matured at a very small size at about a 1 inch body length (anterior edge of carapace to end of abdomen) or about 2 inch leg span (from same side). Difficult to say how long it is since it only molted a few hours ago, but it can definitely fit comfortably in a 16 oz. deli container (which has a 3 inch diameter). Once it hardens up I will post pictures of it here for reference.

Edit: I looked up the descriptions for the two known Cotztetlana species, C. omiltemi and C. villadai, and they are smaller species of tarantulas with females having a body length of about 2 inches. Therefore it isn't as surprising as I though that the males would mature at half the body size at 1 inch.

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I bought a male/ female pair of Cotztetlana sp. "Puebla" back in 2016 and my male matured today. To my surprise, it matured at a very small size at about a 1 inch body length (anterior edge of carapace to end of abdomen) or about 2 inch leg span (from same side). Difficult to say how long it is since it only molted a few hours ago, but it can definitely fit comfortably in a 16 oz. deli container (which has a 3 inch diameter). Once it hardens up I will post pictures of it here for reference.

Edit: I looked up the descriptions for the two known Cotztetlana species, C. omiltemi and C. villadai, and they are smaller species of tarantulas with females having a body length of about 2 inches. Therefore it isn't as surprising as I though that the males would mature at half the body size at 1 inch.
Wow! This is extremely good information to know and I look forward to photos. I'm less familiar with bodylength measurements, but would this put them in the dwarf range at adult size, or just on the smaller side like say A. purpurea? All the more reason to love this extremely unique genus! I'll have to check the molts of my females as they continue to grow and record the point of sclerotization of the spermatheca.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Wow! This is extremely good information to know and I look forward to photos. I'm less familiar with bodylength measurements, but would this put them in the dwarf range at adult size, or just on the smaller side like say A. purpurea? All the more reason to love this extremely unique genus! I'll have to check the molts of my females as they continue to grow and record the point of sclerotization of the spermatheca.
No, I don't think they would be considered dwarfs. Comparing to the smallest tarantula species, such as Aphonopelma paloma, my male Cotztetlana sp. "Puebla" is bigger. Just how much bigger is yet to be seen since I have to wait a long while until it dies so I can get some proper measurements of the carapace and legs.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Thank you for updating this story for us! I just picked up two very tiny slings, Cotztetlana sp. Puebla and Cotztetlana omiltemi and haven't found much information on them - happy to see the growth rate isn't as glacially slow as I had expected it to be! These slings are about 1/8" and 1/4" so I have a long road ahead but they are both very active and curious! I'm delighted with them so far. Will be watching here for continued updates!

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Thank you for updating this story for us! I just picked up two very tiny slings, Cotztetlana sp. Puebla and Cotztetlana omiltemi and haven't found much information on them - happy to see the growth rate isn't as glacially slow as I had expected it to be! These slings are about 1/8" and 1/4" so I have a long road ahead but they are both very active and curious! I'm delighted with them so far. Will be watching here for continued updates!
Glad to see more people are picking up these wonderful spiders!
They definitely are pretty good about growth, both my healthy omiltemi actually molted last night! Hopefully I'll have access to a microscope next week to do some sexing.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
1581691047238.png

Bit of a crappy pic if I'm completely honest, but she refuses to come out for a decent photo the last couple days. This at least gives a decent look at how her back legs are coming along!

TheDarkAbyss

Arachnopeon
I got super tempted on getting a 2 inch juvenile female of one of these earlier this week, the only thing that stopped me is that the seller wanted 232 USD for her... I'm still thinking about it!
Is that a fair price or should I wait another few years for another one to show up?