cotton good or bad

rayford

Arachnopeon
i have heard both ways cotton is good, or cotton is bad. what one wins.cotton keeps good moisture and u can see andything trying to grow on it or acces food items laying ton it so u can change it when dirty. or does it grow too much bacteria and other things . i change the cotton once a week or so, i do not leave it for months or anything like that. pls any comments will be helpful.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cotton where? In the water dish? Bad. Bacteria breeds in there like it's spring break.

rayford

Arachnopeon
cotton

i dont have a water dish these guys r just little. i have it as the substraight in the bottom of the vile.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dont have a water dish these guys r just little. i have it as the substraight in the bottom of the vile.
Just give the substrate a light mist of water every other day they will be cool :cool:

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Negative.

No cotton. No sponge. Nothing of the sort. Use eco earth or something like it. Give the substrate and the vial a light misting so they can drink off of it for slings that are too small for a water dish.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Honestly, it's different but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And why wouldn't peat or another substrates not be good enough to those with no experience, but want to jump to something experimental?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wouldn't it present the same problems a sponge or cotton ball in a water dish would? If the poster wanted to keep the spiderling hydrated, the cotton would mold from mistings. To prevent that it would need to be changed out often and at that point you could save yourself trouble and the spiderling stress by providing a standard substrate.