Corucia zebrata

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys its been awhile but life is good, i'm at the Boise Zoo now and am wondering if anyone has experience or a non wikipedia trouble shoot for a Corucia zebrata (solomon islands skink)... The problem is he is not eating regularly, i have been able to get him to eat baby food though he is ignoring his veggies. Is there something out there that could entice him to eat more regularly? Suggestions would be wonderful as he would eat like my meerkats i would be ecstatic. Thanks for any suggestions wayne......

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you try covering the vegies in baby food? and leave it there?

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
My experience is entirely with blue tongue skinks so it may not apply here but I've found that I had to mix in live food with the veggies, such as mealworms or waxworms.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MTS do not have the same dietary needs as BTS; they are pretty much entirely herbivorous.

Can you give us some info on the husbandry and set up, the veterinary history, and what foods you have tried? I am presently the primary Corucia caregiver at Agama International so maybe I can be of some help. The one thing I have found to consistently put them off all but the most enticing of foods is inadequate temperature and/or humidity. However, something like this could be anything from a health issue to a bad case of "spoiled skink that won't eat what he ought to" so I'd like more info.

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have worked with a few over the years. Is it a young cbb? I have fed them a variety of fruits and veggies (tomatoes seem to be a favorite). But I have never had much trouble getting them to feed even as babies. How are you keeping it? A warm spot in The 90's and an ambient temp in the 70's is good. And spray them once in the morning once at night. Horizontal tube hides should be in the cage as well. We used black pipe suspended in the cage. A humidity box is good for some extra humidity too.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i had a wild caught one MANY MANY years back, who had problems with eating, and lost a lot of weight... he had parasites, though, and according to the vet, salmonella. I had to syringe feed him and he was hospitalized there for many days... he never pulled through whatever it was that was wrong.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No zebras unfortunately, we do have a Grevy’s zebra, not the typical black and white version but very aggressive... Medical history is mostly basic care, nothing out of the ordinary. The habitat does get water and a misting and the temps are pretty constant. I got some good advice from a person with a history of this species and am going to try more pothos and maybe corn on the cob. As was already mentioned strictly a herbivore, no live prey or insects. Thanks for the links.

wayne