Corsican Trapdoor Tarantula

paul_swoap

Arachnopeon
I need some help here - I'm looking for a Corsican Trapdoor Spider, a very unique tarantula and one that I consider to be a prize specimen.. Unfortunately, I can't find this little guy anywhere, in any way/shape/form.. The scientific name is Cteniza sauvagesi, search google and a French page will be one of your results that shows some excellent pics of the spider. If anyone knows where I could get one, PLEASE email me - I'm not a regular on this board, I'm just doing some serious searching. Anyway, thanks for your time.

Paul Swoap

Also, if anyone has any baby T's I'm trying to diversify my collection - plz email me if you are looking for new homes for your babies. ;-)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Click this link to see an approximate translation into English... thank you Babelfish :)

Here is the link in its original French...

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to be mean or anything... but I've always wondered what some people like trapdoor spiders.. I mean it's cool how they hunt their prey and stuff.. but, I mean come on, it looks like a T with no hair..

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey

You cant judge an animal until you keep it. Not everything is looks

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Is it even a real tarantula?
If you use the commonly held distinction that tarantulas are limited to the family Theraphosidae, then, no. The trap door spider in question here is in the family Ctenizidae - close relative, but not a tarantula.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, tarantulas and trap-door spiders are both mygalomorphs, or "primitive" spiders.

I agree that you should never judge an animal until you do some research. The Ctenizids are amazing spiders, with very unique species such as Missulena sp. (mouse spiders) which have larger chelicerae than any other mygalomorph on the planet. Thats just one example.

Alex S.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last edited:

paul_swoap

Arachnopeon
Hmm.. so it's not a true tarantula, eh? Regardless, it is a beautiful spider, these photos at this link show it well:

http://geagallerie.free.fr/galerie3.htm

Look for the scientific name on that page, and check out the pics... Awesome.

Paul

(O - so no one knows where to get these guys?)