Corn Snake

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been thinking about getting a corn snake for a little while now. They seen like a great first snake. Docile, can get up to 6 feet, easy to care for, etc. I know must of the pros of this snake, but what are the cons.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only con I can think of is they are good at escaping if you don't have lid locks. I just use the cheap $2.50 snap on type locks. Besides that they are great.
feed well-out of 8 corns, only 1 is a shy eater
good temperament-very few are snappy
good size- usually around 4 feet, 6 is rare.
easy to care for-easy to heat, no special humidity requirements.

If you like snakes then corns are great and they come in so many different colors.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only con I can think of is they are good at escaping if you don't have lid locks..
I like that they are good at escaping, shows that they have some brains. I'm planning on using a critter cage( the ones with that sliding lid that locks when you close it) Will that work, or will i need to do something else

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like that they are good at escaping, shows that they have some brains. I'm planning on using a critter cage( the ones with that sliding lid that locks when you close it) Will that work, or will i need to do something else
It depends on how determined it is to escape, should be fine for a couple years though. A adult male wanting to get at a female might be able to muscle its way out of a critter cage. The locks I use would work on your critter cage just fine.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What would be a normal price for one. My local pet store has some that are about a foot long for about $70.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
$70 is expensive for for a juvenile unless it is some rare color morph. At most pet shops I've seen them range from $30-$50. If you can get to a reptile show you can them for as lows ar $10-$15 for normal and amelanistic morphs.

I am not a fan of the sliding lid tops, because if the end of does not mesh the lip on the edge of the tank, it can leave a gap that the snake can squeeze through. It is suprising how small a gap they can squeeze through.

Only real con is like Waldo said is they are escape artists. The other is more of a personal preference issue with them being slender and not as a massively bodied as balls for example , some people prefer one over the other.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm planning on using a critter cage( the ones with that sliding lid that locks when you close it) Will that work, or will i need to do something else
I can't envision this--can you find a picture of exactly what yours looks like? :)

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quick question I would like to add to this real qick while were talking about Corns (cause i would like to maybe get one also) how big of a cage would I need for a full grown adult?

thanks, Caleb

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my adults in 20 gallons too but will soon be building a rack system to save space.
If I was going to have just one snake, I would probably use a big cage, like a 55 gallon as a display tank.

Price really depends on where you are located and how much you are willing to pay. Most pet stores around here sell corns for $50-$80 for normals/anery/amels.