Corn Snake Trouble

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a small (less than a foot) female corn. I got her at a show in july and she just won't eat. I've tried everything I can think of from waving a pinkie in front of her face to putting her is a very small tupperware with a pinkie. Still no luck. any ideas would be awesome.

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the wonderful, world of snake keeping.

You never mentioned how often you are attempting to feed it. If you are offering food daily, you are probably stressing the snake out. If so, wait a few days (read three) and try to offer food again.

Are you sure the snake isn't about to shed because before, during, and a few days after a shedd, a snake will refuse food.

Here are some other feeding methods
1) Try offering a live pinkie in the cage and leaving the pinkie overnight.
2) Put the snake and the pinkie in a small paper bag, staple it shut, and leave them together overnight.
3) Offer the live pinky dipped in tuna juice (water from a can of tuna). Surprisingly, this has gotten some stubborn feeders to eat.
4) try doing 3,4,5 using a dead, thawed pinkie.
5) offer a brained pinkie (google to learn what braining is)

Finally, try to relax... snakes [even hatchlings] can go a long time without eating.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
try useing a frozen/thawed pinkie, then "brain" it. i know it sounds nasty but it works most of the time. slice a cut in the head of the pinkie,liquid will ooze out all over the head,put it in a contianer w/the snake,and leave it for awhile,sometimes overnight. the snake will taste the air w/it's tongue and most of the time they go for that scent of the brain of the pinkie. definitly give it a try.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome to the wonderful, world of snake keeping.

You never mentioned how often you are attempting to feed it. If you are offering food daily, you are probably stressing the snake out. If so, wait a few days (read three) and try to offer food again.

Are you sure the snake isn't about to shed because before, during, and a few days after a shedd, a snake will refuse food.

Here are some other feeding methods
1) Try offering a live pinkie in the cage and leaving the pinkie overnight.
2) Put the snake and the pinkie in a small paper bag, staple it shut, and leave them together overnight.
3) Offer the live pinky dipped in tuna juice (water from a can of tuna). Surprisingly, this has gotten some stubborn feeders to eat.
4) try doing 3,4,5 using a dead, thawed pinkie.
5) offer a brained pinkie (google to learn what braining is)

Finally, try to relax... snakes [even hatchlings] can go a long time without eating.
I've been attempting to feed her about once every week and a half. I've got a very friendly ball python that is nearly three feet long and i havn't had this problem with my ball. I've got a pinkie in with the corn right now. It's been in there for about two days. Is there a difference between keeping them in a paper bag overnight vs. using a small clear tupperware? She just ignored the pinkie when she was in the tupperware. Could it be a problem with her enclosure? Right now she's in a medium KK with a coconut half for a hide, a water dish and a small plant on the side.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First off, take the pinky out. If its alive its probably stressing her and if it F/T then it gone bad by now. A F/T need to be thrown out after 12 hrs or so.

Difference between a bag and a tupperware is the bag is dark and secure. You can use a tupperware but if you do, cove it with a towel and don't check on her for 1-2 hrs.

What are your temps on the hot side? what are you using for substrate? You can get rid of the plant and add another hide, she needs one on the hot and cool sides.

I had a bad eater, I had to slit her pinkies for the first few months. Slitting is just what it sounds like. Use a pair of small scissors and put small slits in the F/T pinks back and one across its nose. If that doesn't work then try braining.

There are many other things to try.
Wash to pink in Ivory dish soap, dry it and offer.
Dip it in chicken broth.
Dip it in lizard scent (a liquide you can buy to make rodents smell like lizard). Put a small piece of anole skin on the pink.

Did you get her from a reputable breeder? if so contact them and see what they suggest.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About 95 degrees on the hot side. I'm using eco earth for substrate. And yes i got her from a reputable breeder (a professor a Bowling Green). I'll run out and grab a new pinkie tomorrow and see if any of these techniques work. Thanks guys!!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is too hot!! a corn only needs 85* at most. Is the eco earth damp? if so then the humidity probably is too high. Toss out the coco beading and get some aspen shavings.
Good set up for a ball but not for a corn.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone that posted replies. I went out and grabbed another pinkie and brained it. Then I put them both in a tupperware and the pinkie was gone in ten minutes. thanks everyone!!:clap: :clap:

Anita

Arachnopeon
I have a small (less than a foot) female corn. I got her at a show in july and she just won't eat. I've tried everything I can think of from waving a pinkie in front of her face to putting her is a very small tupperware with a pinkie. Still no luck. any ideas would be awesome.
I am having trouble with my Ball Python feeding i tried all the usual stuff as you have then i posted a request for help. Ted posted a suggestion which is, get a clay flowerpot and take the bottom out of it make sure edges are kept smooth as we don't want any injuries, turn upside down drop the pinkie inside so the snake climbs up the pot and down inside to attack the prey from above. I haven't tried this method yet but my Ball seems to shy away from his food as though he is afraid of it so if your corn is doing the same it may be worth trying Ted's tried and tested method. Let me know if it works. Good luck!