Cork mosaic background build

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Taking @Dorifto 's lead, here's a short blurb on how I make cork mosaic backgrounds, it's quite simple but thought it could give someone some inspiration, or help someone.

Materials: cork bark pieces, aquarium safe silicone (GE I silicone), sphagnum moss

This tank is 40"(L)x18"(W)x18"(T)

First I cleaned up the tank, made sure it doesn't have anything that would interfere with adhesion.

Then I laid the tank on its back, so the back of the tank was on the bottom

I then placed the cork bark in the tank, moving it around to make it look the way I wanted it.

Next step was to go away for a couple hours, then come back and look at the background and see if it still looks the way you want. (Measure twice, cut once, or in this case, look at it twice, silicone once)

Then you can start siliconing the pieces in. I work from both sides, doing a piece at a time so that the silicone have a chance to start to adhere to the glass without being bumped.

Here's how it looks after I siliconed them on:
20200509_154937.jpg

Let it cure overnight, or for a few days. Then you're ready to stuff the cracks with moss.

You'll need to take pack the moss in tight so that it doesn't come loose. The tighter the moss is packed in the better.
Here's how it looks after the moss is added:
20200509_154125.jpg

With sphagnum moss, if kept wet and given light, it will, in my experience, start to come back to life, producing an even more realistic looking background

This is a different tank, but you can see the green moss sections starting to come in
20200509_155524.jpg

I hope this helps others design/build these backgrounds, they are by far my favorite style to build.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Love the look of the background with the moss coming back to life. You can't beat a natural looking enclosure :)

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Love the results!!!

I hope that with this kind of tutorials we can encourage people to build this type of enclosures, because even looking complex they are very easy to build and maintain.

Ps: what kind of climbing plant is? A Hedera?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Love the results!!!

I hope that with this kind of tutorials we can encourage people to build this type of enclosures, because even looking complex they are very easy to build and maintain.

Ps: what kind of climbing plant is? A Hedera?
I actually don't know for sure what it is, it came with a tank I bought already setup. I think it's Ficus quercifolia

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I actually don't know for sure what it is, it came with a tank I bought already setup. I think it's Ficus quercifolia
Yeah!! looking closer looks like a ficus pumila (quercifolia)

Another one added to the list of my next plants 😉

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Yeah!! looking closer looks like a ficus pumila (quercifolia)

Another one added to the list of my next plants 😉
It grows like a weed, or a ficus lol. I have to trim my one tank every month because this plant grows so fast.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What do you keep in there? I'd be concerned insects (if they are in there) would just burrow into the moss and hide, same w/small prey items. I love how it looks though. How bright a light does one need for the moss to come back to life. Moss in my area (wild) is usually not in bright areas of light, more shadowy/moist areas of course.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
What do you keep in there? I'd be concerned insects (if they are in there) would just burrow into the moss and hide, same w/small prey items. I love how it looks though. How bright a light does one need for the moss to come back to life. Moss in my area (wild) is usually not in bright areas of light, more shadowy/moist areas of course.
This will be for dart frogs, the vivarium will have springtails and Isopods (dwarf white Isopods) as well.
I'm not sure how bright the lights need to be, but in my terrariums with the most light the moss has revived the best. Could also be that that tank gets more water from my misting system ;-).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This will be for dart frogs, the vivarium will have springtails and Isopods (dwarf white Isopods) as well.
I'm not sure how bright the lights need to be, but in my terrariums with the most light the moss has revived the best. Could also be that that tank gets more water from my misting system ;-).
PDFs thought so! Won't prey items disappear into the moss? One of the reasons I haven't dived into PDFs is I'm always concerned they may not get prey. I know they are quite effective hunters-I've seen in person- and despite what experienced breeders tell me- I'm reluctant- for now.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
PDFs thought so! Won't prey items disappear into the moss? One of the reasons I haven't dived into PDFs is I'm always concerned they may not get prey. I know they are quite effective hunters-I've seen in person- and despite what experienced breeders tell me- I'm reluctant- for now.
The moss isn't as fluffy as it looks. Once it gets wet it is much more dense. Anything that does hide (in the moss or in the leaf litter) eventually becomes frog food, the frogs (anthropomorphising here) love to go foraging for food in the leaves and the moss sections

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Buy a cup of versicularia dubyana, chop it in small pieces, mix it with 1 part of water and half of milk. Spread the chopped moss pieces across the enclosure. You'll love the results