Cork Bark

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would you guys recommend boiling it before putting it in the animals cage? If so, for how long?

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
YES! Boil IT!!!! I do, several times in fact... It turns the water a nasty rust color..

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
See, I don't think I've ever boiled or even washed off a piece of corkbark in my life. I just throw it in the tank. I never really thought about doing it to be honest with you, but now that you brought it up, it does sound like it would probably be a good idea....

Scott

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, when you really think about it it makes sense to boil it, just as you would a peice of wood from outside. I don't really think it's disinfected or anything before it's shipped off to the pet stores. And even if there's not any parasites inside it before it gets to the store, just think about the kinds of things that could get inside the bark once it does get there. My main concern would be mites.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm a fan of baking. The con is that it wouldn't remove any of the dirt that was on the bark or soaked in. The pro is that the internal temperature of the piece would get much higher. Water boils at 100 degrees Celcius plus/minus some for atmospheric pressure etc. Once you've reached boiling, you have to throw a lot more energy into the water to raise the temperature further. Baking, on the other hand, simply keeps raising the temperature of the wood.

Cheers,
Dave

EDIT: I don't think I phrased that thing about boiling quite right. The point is that the water won't get above 100C, you can only superheat the steam at that point.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I heat it in the microwave when it's been used in annother animals cage, but new cork I usually don't bother. Probably should, though.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Dart,

I generaly put wood in for about two hours on 350. As long as the internal temperature exceeds 120-something, it should be fine.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Yes make sure you bake it for long enough. You don't want anything half-baked.;P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I also bake any wood I find for my tanks. Don't put it much higher than 350 though...it will burn...:rolleyes:

It will also smell the house up a bit depending on the type of the wood.

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sigh. Just couldn't leave it alone, could you John? ;)

As smelly as some wood can be, sand is far worse. I hate the smell of baking sand. :mad:

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Yeah the smell of cooking sand kind of reminds me of cigarette ashes...but stronger.

John
; ' /