Cork bark really necessary for haplos?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Picking up a 1.5" Haplopelma Bach Ma
and 1.5" Ornithoctonus aureotibialis. These will be my first Asian T's in years and I'm wondering if this set up looks ok and if the cork is really necessary. Ive been under the impression that these guys tend to just burrow straight down.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I see no reasons for not offering (no matter which Theraphosidae) always a piece of cork bark. IMO OB enclosures made of "substrate only" since "they burrow" doesn't sucks... sucks a lot :-s

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Box with a load of slighty moist dirt with hole poked in it for starter will do.

Cork bark makes things look a bit better ImO

dopamine

Arachnobaron
IMO your set up is good, but substrate looks a bit dry for those.
The pics are a little deceiving lol. The sub is slightly damp i can see a bit of condensation on the sides. I might dampen it a bit more before the transfer though. Thanks for the advice.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The pics are a little deceiving lol. The sub is slightly damp i can see a bit of condensation on the sides. I might dampen it a bit more before the transfer though. Thanks for the advice.
Oh in that case sorry, man :-s

Great T's, btw

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Chris thanks, i can't wait to get em here i've been gradually developing an asian fetish :p
Box with a load of slighty moist dirt with hole poked in it for starter will do.

Cork bark makes things look a bit better ImO
Exactly, i figured the cork was more for cosmetics in this case than anything else. As opposed to my M. balfouri that actually makes a lot of use out of it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris thanks, i can't wait to get em here i've been gradually developing an asian fetish :p
They're great, I personally love H.hainanum (C.hainanum now, btw?)

Exactly, i figured the cork was more for cosmetics in this case than anything else. As opposed to my M. balfouri that actually makes a lot of use out of it.
While indeed cork bark is (IMO) always good to see inside enclosures, I've noticed they love those, especially if you start a hole near/under.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Those are great sp.

I currently only keep 3 asians. No more Poecs. I have one Cyriopagopus minax, one Cyriopagopus sp. minax and an O. aureotibialis.

I have never had bite yet. But I know that if one day I do, it will more so be one of those 3 demons. :vamp:

Congrats on your additions :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You know, after years and years of 'Haplopelma' now my brain "reject" 'Cyriopagopoeus' :-(
Ajajja yes I am probably the same. I try to remember all the time as not to cause confusion. The whole Euathlus/Phrixotrichus/Paraphysa revision has my head spinning still. I am at the point where I dont know what I am keeping :|

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
You know, after years and years of 'Haplopelma' now my brain "reject" 'Cyriopagopoeus' :-(
Same here. After double checking the WSC site, its finally accepted the revision. Now to insert a new cartridge in the label maker a start making the changes. Aghhh!!! :banghead:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Picking up a 1.5" Haplopelma Bach Ma
and 1.5" Ornithoctonus aureotibialis. These will be my first Asian T's in years and I'm wondering if this set up looks ok and if the cork is really necessary. Ive been under the impression that these guys tend to just burrow straight down.
I always start the burrowers with a piece of cork. Once they dig a burrow its removed and cleaned for the next use. Usually the burrow starts straight down then will angle off for a resting/molting area.
Btw, you are sure to enjoy the coloration of the O. aureotibialis. That is, when you see it.
Here's one of mine, he's a beaut.

Attachments

Last edited:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I always leave cork bark and fake leaves whether mine used it or not because it still adds some nice detail to the cage.

Also sorry a bit off topic but are all Haplopelma sp. now called Cyriopagopoeus or some? I read a thread a while back here but I'm still kinda confused.

Ddannison

Arachnopeon
I'd say it's not necessary. though it's only been a month in this enclosure my c. albostriatum has chosen to Web over the cork tube entrance and instead take up residence in the water bowl

Attachments

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not necessary. I've had some Haplos never use the cork bark I provided. They can make do with substrate alone.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Also sorry a bit off topic but are all Haplopelma sp. now called Cyriopagopoeus or some? I read a thread a while back here but I'm still kinda confused.
Yes, all of them. It took me a good year to finally start calling the king baboon Pelinobius muticus, though.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't use cork bark in my haplo enclosures.. I just offer them a premade burrow in a very deep enclosure.. I recently started using the tall thin cereal containers and I love them..

Adding cork bark and fake plants for O/Bs doesn't really benefit them it's more for the keeper..