Cork bark mold free ? I think not !

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I have to move my A.avic .After it just made a awesome tube web. It's because The cork bark in the enclosure is starting to mold. Originally I had a plastic plant in ther but the avic didn't seem to like it.So I put cork bark in . I now have white and green mold where it meets the substrate.So im setting up another eclosure for it. Do you think this is the right thing to do? Any ideals for a mold proof fixture?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Glue the corkbark to the side of the container/enclosure.It'll be up off the substrate then.Let the substrate dry out and just periodically mist the walls for watering/humidity needs.Mold needs constant moisture to thrive.Sounds like maybe you're keeping things a little too much on the wet side.....peace...

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's why when I glued the cork bark in I left it off the substrate, then I just mist the substrate or the side of the tank opposite the corkbark....

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
also I pressure treat all my cork bark ;) JK JK JK, don't do that hehehe

I am in the mood to design or invent a synthetic type of log or cork bark like material that looks real, and that is anti-mold/fungus...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If corkbark is molding on you then you have things far too moist and humid for any tarantula. Create some ventilation, stop misting/watering so much, and forget just about everything you ever read in some caresheet somewhere as about 90% of the information in them is either unecessary or outright harmful if you try to meet it - the humidity for Avics among some of the most potentially harmful out there.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by AllenG
also I pressure treat all my cork bark ;) JK JK JK, don't do that hehehe

I am in the mood to design or invent a synthetic type of log or cork bark like material that looks real, and that is anti-mold/fungus...
petsmart has resin trees, stumps, and branches that look somewhat realistic, check them out. never had one of them get mold or fungus yet!
:)
Ed

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
petsmart has resin trees, stumps, and branches that look somewhat realistic, check them out. never had one of them get mold or fungus yet!
:)
Ed
will look thanks Ed, always wanted the perfect "tree"...

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
If corkbark is molding on you then you have things far too moist and humid for any tarantula. Create some ventilation, stop misting/watering so much, and forget just about everything you ever read in some caresheet somewhere as about 90% of the information in them is either unecessary or outright harmful if you try to meet it - the humidity for Avics among some of the most potentially harmful out there.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. I mist my Avics approximately once every 3 days. They have no condensation on the sides of their tanks. This is because I was having mite problems when I was misting to the specification of most caresheets. More and more I am finding breeders who advise buyers that Avics don't really need loads of moisture, and that ventilation is of paramount importance.

When you think about it, they live high up in the canopy so humidity will not be high anyway. Soft breezes blowing through the branches also serves to lower humidity. I've had absolutely no moulting problems so far (touch wood) with keeping my Avics at this lower humidity, and my mite problems are now zero. Far too many people overmist their T's and keep them at a humidity completely uncharacteristic of their natural habitat. I'm sure mould wouldn't be half the problem it is if people stopped stressing about humidity :)

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks yea I never misted just had the substrate to moist to begin with.I probably don't need much . The relative room humidity where I have them is like 77% and AC free.I have much ventilation for them. It was the cork bark that I will have trouble trusting again.I put a silk sprig back in and made it spruce. The avic is makeing another tube web.Seems you cant go wrong with plastic or silk. I saw something how to make a fake tree with foam pipe insulation. I'll make one when the sling gets big enough for a larger enclosure.I'm looking into the bi-level substrate tactic. Thanks for the advice guys.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One thing I've noticed is that corkbark has a harder inner layer to it. Sometimes you get it with this attached and that is what seems to mold. The actual "cork" outside bark dosen't mold. Now when I buy corkbark, I make sure the inner layer is gone or I don't buy it because I know it will mold.

I have seen where within a day or so after being in contact with moist substrate, the inner layer will start to mold. This has happened in kritter keepers where I know there was enough ventilation.

I am using fake plants and such now to avoid having mold problems if I cant find good corkbark.