Cork Bark Alternatives?

Sor4tron

Arachnopeon
I was wondering what are the other types of bark I can use. Since cork bark is very hard to find in my country, I was wondering if I could use pine, orchid, acacia or fir bark. I would use these barks for hides and or decoration, not substrate!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Try to avoid any sharp barks, personally I wouldn't use any bark which has oils or resins on it, specially cedar, here at least is used as insecticide.

You can find a recent fallen try and pleel the first layer, you can even peel the branches and make a hollow bark.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I use bark from any tree I see indiscriminately.

If it holds a shape, I use it. Pine, maple, whatever

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
As an alternative to cork bark or wood in general I like flower pots, they give a nice round shape that is great for hiding and they come in all sorts of different sizes, you can cut them in half and bury them and cover with substrate creating a kind of cave type hide that looks natural.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I'm using bark from White Poplar,Apple and Ash trees as theyre very easy to find and strip the bark off of. Not sure how easy is it to find in your country though

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
birch, beech, poplar, apple, cherry, oak are all safe - not sure if you have them there. Hardwoods in general are safe. Generally it's best to avoid coniferous trees like pine because they can have insecticidal oils unless they're properly aged before use.

Mister B

Arachnopeon
I used some oak bark, I used a hot melt glue gun to stick a few pieces together to form a semi circle, then whilst the glue was still tacky stuck dried moss onto it to hide the glue.

bolbiejeebs

Arachnopeon
I was wondering what are the other types of bark I can use. Since cork bark is very hard to find in my country, I was wondering if I could use pine, orchid, acacia or fir bark. I would use these barks for hides and or decoration, not substrate!
I think as long as you have a method for "cleaning" the wood and keeping any parasites or termites out that could be harmful, any bark should be fine. Boiling or using the oven should do - and if anyone could correct me on this that would be awesome - as this is the method I used.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I think as long as you have a method for "cleaning" the wood and keeping any parasites or termites out that could be harmful, any bark should be fine. Boiling or using the oven should do - and if anyone could correct me on this that would be awesome - as this is the method I used.
some trees have potent insecticidal saps - using one of those could easily lead to your animal’s death.