Coral snake

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have 3 outdoor cats, and a dog that love to dig up things, right now its all baby ones i see mostly, and we are in a burn ban currently, not enough rain. i killed one about 2 months ago, but only because i freaked when it came after my foot in the middle of the cement motorcylce driveway we have. middle of the night, i was half asleep and a hot comes after me and im against a wall of the shed, i freaked.....stepped on it.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok guy here at work brought me a Texas brown snake he caught in the shop.Little guy.

Will try this when I get home,got my fingers crossed.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kevin, Woah! :eek: I took a look at the photos once again and it sunk in the second time- it's been a long time. I'd be very careful keeping it in the sterilite-type enclosure. Micrurus spp can be extreme escape artists. If you have rough earth snake, DeKay's snake, and five-lined skinks (as previously mentioned), they'll often take them. The more fossorial-natured any live reptilian prey offered is, the better it should work. Coral snakes are very rarely seen above ground except during digging operations, after rains etc. The only indiv I've ever found on the surface was near Copenhagen, La. about 15 years ago. It was well over 90 degrees with drought-like conditions and late in the afternoon. It was moving rather quickly through short grass in somewhat open pine woods. It didn't make one bit of sense to me at the time and still doesn't. It was in the middle of nowhere and all I can figure is that it got disturbed/dislodged from it's subterranean lair by a predator, etc. not long before.

Nice texas coral and hope you're successful getting it to feed. Cheers,

Terry

edit-I worked briefly at a nursery near Delray Beach, Fla. We found several M fulvius at different times/dates when walking around the edges of the greenhouses pulling back excess black plastic draped on the ground at the base of the walls. This is the only place I've seen them other than the La. individual- except for the very rare d.o.r. or two
Yea this is safest one in my experience.The same type but larger gets to get weak/flimsy in the middle of top and can be pushed open a hair,which is all it needs.this shorter one's top is pretty stiff and no giving.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Shiny Happy Snakes

She was fed ringneck snakes and five lined skinks. I almost never saw her yet i really enjoyed haveing her.
A local friend to me, that has proper venomous permits for Ca. has one....
.....and he feeds pacific ringnecks {so cute} and a skink similar to 5-lined's {bl. tail} to his specimen, and has had it for years.....Don't get bitten Kev :cool:

You lucky b@$%@*&! Good luck with that little fella
Yes - Lu~cky {in a Napoleon Dynomite *voice*} & TY 4 sharing Pix! GL - Jason

P.S. I just traded for my 1st Grey-banded King rescently, bet it's immune to the venom of that coral - just a thought.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Will it is a snake eat snake world!

Picture says enough,looks like he is a keeper!Thanks everyone!

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A local friend to me, that has proper venomous permits for Ca. has one....
.....and he feeds pacific ringnecks {so cute} and a skink similar to 5-lined's {bl. tail} to his specimen, and has had it for years.....Don't get bitten Kev :cool:

Yes - Lu~cky {in a Napoleon Dynomite *voice*} & TY 4 sharing Pix! GL - Jason

P.S. I just traded for my 1st Grey-banded King rescently, bet it's immune to the venom of that coral - just a thought.
You meaning of coarse it will take out my coral ;) Interesting thanks.I will make sure I will not feed kings.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can't even begin to describe how jealous I am! I have wanted a coral snake since I was just a child lol Congrats on getting him to eat!! You must post a ton of pictures, so I can live vicariously through you lol

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aww the poor little Dekayi!! Nice job, I wish you had gotten in touch with me back in September I had about 50 Dekays babies and a half dozen adults. If I were you Id get in touch with breeders and get them to send you some frozen or live non-feeders hatchling corns for dirt cheap.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm I just noticed that Ookami's comments about Corals being rear fanged and not dangerous and her friend milking them and taking the venom to a hospital so that they could make Anti-venin and my retraction about how they are Elapids, have rear facing front fangs, and that there was only one company in the entire country making Anti-venin for Micrurus and they have stopped making it for over 3 yrs was removed? I wonder why no one notified me? There was some pretty good information anout there being no more anti-venin for these in the US in that thread including a good link. Does that happen here alot?

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, I've kept a couple of them, fed them small snakes and ground skinks. I often hear that they need to "chew" for the capillary action moving the venom to work better. I was bitten once over 20 years ago but I had gloves on. It didn't immediately let go, it hung on but only for a second or less. I did barely feel a side to side pinch when it was on the glove finger.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool, I've kept a couple of them, fed them small snakes and ground skinks. I often hear that they need to "chew" for the capillary action moving the venom to work better. I was bitten once over 20 years ago but I had gloves on. It didn't immediately let go, it hung on but only for a second or less. I did barely feel a side to side pinch when it was on the glove finger.
I actually observed this "chew" when it was working on this snake.Man it took a while for the venom to work on this snake it ate.Still I as it swallowed down to the tip of tail it was still twitching a bit.Nerves still twitching trying to do what ever.For interesting experience to see none the less.........

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Their delivery system is a bit behind the power curve, but its a dangerous game none the less to keep hots. I would love to find an M fulvius one day, and observe it for a while in captivity. If you want a really interesting and awesome snake you should look into getting an Ahaetulla species. I have kept these in the past and they are by far one of my absolute favorites to watch. As long as you can get a steady supply of lizards and mist it a few times a week they are pretty hardy actually. I used to love watching them sway and slowly creep up on their prey. Mine used to get about an inch away from the anoles I fed it before striking and they never knew what hit them. Their venom was also surprisingly fast acting on lizards and frogs too. Anyway I hope you have alot of luck with that guy!