Coping with wild scorps

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The house next door to us was torn down, the roof tiles, heavy ceramic/cement things nearly 2 feet long, were removed and stacked in haphazard piles all over the yard.
They sat there for the better part of a year before a pick-up truck came by; a boss and a local laborer. The boss wandered off doing important boss nothings leaving the laborer to it.
I had a birds eye view from our upstairs porch as the guy loaded the tiles into the truck.

Gingerly, each individual tile was carefully tilted up, looked under, then set off to the side in a stack of four. Then the stack loaded into the truck.
I thought of the scorp folks here on AB and how they would have been drooling on themselves.

It was a study in casual long term experience with the animals. Every 10th tile or so and out came a scorp. That uniform small gap between tiles a scorp dream home. Some were the small brown ones, Lychas Mucronatus, but mostly it was the chunker Heterometrus.

I couldn't clearly see what the guy did with his hands. One diverted the scorps attention while the other deftly picked it up by the tail and with a flick of his hand sent it sailing into brush and bushes across the yard. I think he cast a shadow over the scorps face. Maybe touch or tap a claw. Not sure. It was just enough to divert the attention for a moment so he could grab the other end.
Scorp after scorp, all dispensed with in this casual easy going way. No gloves, bare feet in sandals. Knowing the animals, giving due respect, and the little flying lesson.

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a sin you did not photodocument this... When I was in AZ all I did was make sure there were no hiding spots near the doors and that seems to keep them where they belong.

My current stripe tail is due to the fact I found the thing trying to sneak into the house.

The Snark

Old Timer
It's a sin you did not photodocument this...
Growls and snarls, teeth bared. Blame the Fuji finepix s5600, aka poopcam. Every time I had a wonderful photo op it came down with an acute case of Murphy's Law. A mixed blessing in a way. Now that we have the ultra reliable Nikon the only time I see a fabulous wildlife shot is when the wifey has forgotten and left the camera at work.

The Snark

Old Timer
The entire thing about scorps is just being familiar with their ways and habits. Automatically thinking of places they would love to hide in. The only close call I have had was a Mucronatus who, for some bizarre reason, thought lurking on a doorknob was a bright idea.

The Snark

Old Timer
Living with scorps is really pretty easy. When the house fills up it's turn-on-light time. No barefoot in the dark stuff.

I love how the boss copes with the midnight invasions. Puts a jar over them and leaves them for me to deal with.

These are the berzaps to watch out for. Hissy pissy attitude with an animal attached.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
I always find it a privilege being able to live in an area abundant in wild life, even if it just scorpions and such :)

The Snark

Old Timer
I always find it a privilege being able to live in an area abundant in wild life, even if it just scorpions and such
And an honor really. When we get home invasions I think of the people here on AB, desperately trying to get their mitts on critters, jumping through red tape hoops of fire, shipping company woes, or out on their hands and knees half the night with flashlights. 'How nice of you to come calling. Just stay there a moment while I lock up the cats'.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Probably hurt every single one of those poor Scorpions throwing them like that. They are tough, but not invincible.

The Snark

Old Timer
Probably hurt... possibly. Rural people and habits. Often casually brutal, unheeding, uncaring. Expedience rules the day.