Coping with accidentally killing your tarantula?

Cambananas

Arachnopeon
Wow, I had no idea so many nice people would respond. Thank you so much guys. A lot of comments helped me to look at things from a different perspective. I'll probably always feel a little guilty for the way she went, and I truly hope she didn't possess the pain receptors to feel it, but I feel much better. I've even been browsing for some tarantulas and regal jumping spiders for sale online lately . Any suggestions on good places to order arachnids from?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'd stay away from sellers who are big name reptile sellers since they normally don't know anything about tarantulas, but if you find one by browsing the Classifieds section here, they'll be a well known entity that knows how to take care of and breed good tarantulas.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
I'm glad you are considering giving it another go!

I ordered some millipedes a few weeks ago and one of them escaped the critter keeper I put them in temporarily. Didn't realize that when I took the handle off it left a hole just slightly big enough for the smaller millis to escape. We went to lunch and came back to find one had made his way out and fallen from the top shelf. He cracked his exoskeleton and I really didn't think he would make it. He actually molted out of it and from what we can see he has healed -- he could have internal damage still so I know we aren't fully out of the woods yet but it's an improvement. I still feel terrible about it and at the time I was totally inconsolable.

I know they don't form any attachment to us, but knowing that I accidentally allowed something in my care to get hurt really broke my heart. I felt so bad for the little guy. Ultimately, it comes down to learning from your mistakes and I had to look on the bright side and say - at least I learned with one, and not all of them. Mistakes and accidents happen all the time. Doesn't make you a bad keeper!

As someone already mentioned the sellers in the classifieds section here tend to be pretty great all around. Plus the classifieds have reviews/etc so you can read about the seller and have peace of mind before working with them.

Best of luck to you! My first T was a Nhandu chromatus sling; very much a pet hole... but very forgiving of beginner mistakes. Great eater and has molted twice in my care in the last few months. My GBB sling is much more visible and fun; I hear they are fairly hardy as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Moderator note: We don't allow "where to buy" inquiries on the forum or solicitations of reviews outside of the review section. For instructions on using our classifieds, see, "Where to Buy" Inquiries. For reviews, see User Reviews and Dealer Reviews.
Ah! Sorry! Just saw this and it's too late for me to edit my comment now, but do you want me to repost it without the mention of the other vendor and then a mod can delete my original comment?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ah! Sorry! Just saw this and it's too late for me to edit my comment now, but do you want me to repost it without the mention of the other vendor and then a mod can delete my original comment?
Since you're past the 12-hour mark, DM me what you'd like the edited version to be, and I'll fix it.

Gagamboii

Arachnopeon
Im new to tarantulas and I got a T. vagans sling. but I just accidentally killed it too, only had him/her for 1-2 months and only just around 2 cm, it just molted so its body is so fragile and when I lifted the drift wood it was under in so I could check up, I accidentally dropped the wood and it crushed him, I feel so awfully stupid, like bruhh, I feel so bad cuz i learned tarantulas feel pain and it started twitching, its legs all bent and I wanna cry so bad but i cant do nothing😭😭😭🤜😣. Please pray for him, taken too soon :sad:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hopefully the mistakes made in this thread were learned from to avoid replication.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Im new to tarantulas and I got a T. vagans sling. but I just accidentally killed it too, only had him/her for 1-2 months and only just around 2 cm, it just molted so its body is so fragile and when I lifted the drift wood it was under in so I could check up, I accidentally dropped the wood and it crushed him, I feel so awfully stupid, like bruhh, I feel so bad cuz i learned tarantulas feel pain and it started twitching, its legs all bent and I wanna cry so bad but i cant do nothing😭😭😭🤜😣. Please pray for him, taken too soon :sad:
I hope you take away a key lesson from this, if you decide to keep any more tarantulas, or arachnids or similar inverts. Don't disturb them if they're hidden away, and leave them hidden. They know better than we do.
These forums are a prime place - really, the main place - to research husbandry before deciding if you were to get another again.