Cooling & Feeding

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For those of you that put your T's through a winter cool down in order to try to stimulate sac production, is there any length of time you should allow to elapse between the cooling and the last feeding? Or, does it not matter with T's?

I just fed my T's today and after I did so, thought that a couple more of the girls could go into the garage just in case. but wasn't sure if I should wait a set length of time after they finish eating since they were just given a big meal.

-Alice

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone?

Unless someone has some info, I'm leaning towards giving them a week before I cool them down.

They're Aphonopelmas from California and Arizona if it makes a difference.

-Alice

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I fed my A. hentzi a couple of cricks in the 2 months she was out in the garage. She ate them even though it was around 50 or little below. In slow motion but she ate them. To answer your question, I don't think it matters.

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! I'm used to dealing with herps and wasn't sure on the logistics of cooling these guys.

-Alice

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of the Aphonopelma species are pretty tough and can handle quite a bit but the cooling down like I describe only apply to T's that naturally go through a sudo hybernation for the winter. This would probably cause problems with other species.

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
Cooling

I like to feed during the cooling period. I understand your concern coming from a herper perspective, but remember T's do a lot of digestion before the food even enters the gut! This is very different from a reptile who needs a specific temp. for gut flora to function.