Cooling agressive female before mating?

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a pair of GBB and the female is not cooperating. Has anyone experimented with cooling the female prior to pairing just to chill her out a bit so she is not so quick on the attack?

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I have a pair of GBB and the female is not cooperating. Has anyone experimented with cooling the female prior to pairing just to chill her out a bit so she is not so quick on the attack?
I have! with gbb infact! but then my male wasnt keen to do the deed?
Strange, i know! maybe he is gay? or something? dont know if cooling her down would have anything to do with it!?

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have! with gbb infact! but then my male wasnt keen to do the deed?
Strange, i know! maybe he is gay? or something? dont know if cooling her down would have anything to do with it!?
im having the same problem, the male tapped the first time, she attacked he ran, now he just runs, i think hes scared.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
im having the same problem, the male tapped the first time, she attacked he ran, now he just runs, i think hes scared.
Try feeding her. She may be hungry?:? Or its just not good timing. What have you done to prepare them for the deed? Has she been well fed? undisturbed? Maybe you could put there cages close to one another and let him court her until she starts drumming back. Just things i can think of. i have only bred P. murinus. Was quite simple. :eek:

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try feeding her. She may be hungry?:? Or its just not good timing. What have you done to prepare them for the deed? Has she been well fed? undisturbed? Maybe you could put there cages close to one another and let him court her until she starts drumming back. Just things i can think of. i have only bred P. murinus. Was quite simple. :eek:
fresh molt, well fed, I did just rehouse her last week but she has a great web already, I am going to put him in a smaller home and put him in with her for a week or so, see how that goes

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Try feeding her. She may be hungry?:? Or its just not good timing. What have you done to prepare them for the deed? Has she been well fed? undisturbed? Maybe you could put there cages close to one another and let him court her until she starts drumming back. Just things i can think of. i have only bred P. murinus. Was quite simple!

P murinus are some of the easiest to breed! my male stayed with my female for 2 weeks! he made a sperm web in her enclosure and mated a couple times! untill i took him out!

My female taps! but male does nothing! i even nudge him until his front legs touch hers, she then taps again! yet mal just stands there!? after about 5 min he walks in another direction!?
Strange for gbb! she is actually keen, and not aggresive to him at all!? ill look for another male! a strait one maybe!? lol

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female taps! but male does nothing! i even nudge him until his front legs touch hers, she then taps again! yet mal just stands there!? after about 5 min he walks in another direction!?
Strange for gbb! she is actually keen, and not aggresive to him at all!? ill look for another male! a strait one maybe!? lol
I have a regalis pair that is doing the same darn thing! I didn't get to it last night, but tonight both cages are going into my upright 40 breeder and i'm just going to cohab them and see if maybe that helps.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I have a regalis pair that is doing the same darn thing! I didn't get to it last night, but tonight both cages are going into my upright 40 breeder and i'm just going to cohab them and see if maybe that helps.
Im going to try some light music, candles etc... lol

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GBB females are notorious for being aggressive towards the male prior to pairings.

Maybe check the breeding reports, and PM people who have successfully bred them and ask what they did?

I do not believe cooling the female prior to breeding is necessary or even helpful. It's not like they do it in the wild.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
GBB females are notorious for being aggressive towards the male prior to pairings.

Maybe check the breeding reports, and PM people who have successfully bred them and ask what they did?

I do not believe cooling the female prior to breeding is necessary or even helpful. It's not like they do it in the wild.
I know how to breed them! the female is fine! its the male thats being downrihgt silly!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know I'm a little strange...but the "mate on demand" mentality that most of you expect appears unreasonable to me. Dump the male in with the female and expect immediate performance is a little harsh, don't ya think? Sometimes it takes as long as 48 hrs. for some of my pairs to even display any interest in one another once in the breeder box. As the sun sets early evening I notice that they begin to emerge. Some of them I've never even seen formally "mate" but fertile sacs mysteriously appear afterward with freshly molted females so I know successful insertions were achieved. Perhaps some of these more skittish species require a little bit of privacy and introducing them under glaring lighting, cameras clicking, etc. just doesn't suit them. Diane

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
spiderworld - I wasn't speaking directly to you or referring to your breeding skills.

Diane - do you happen to have pictures of how you set up your breeder box? I'd be very interested to see them. :)

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I know I'm a little strange...but the "mate on demand" mentality that most of you expect appears unreasonable to me. Dump the male in with the female and expect immediate performance is a little harsh, don't ya think? Sometimes it takes as long as 48 hrs. for some of my pairs to even display any interest in one another once in the breeder box. As the sun sets early evening I notice that they begin to emerge. Some of them I've never even seen formally "mate" but fertile sacs mysteriously appear afterward with freshly molted females so I know successful insertions were achieved. Perhaps some of these more skittish species require a little bit of privacy and introducing them under glaring lighting, cameras clicking, etc. just doesn't suit them. Diane
I do agree with alot of what you are saying! but ive done alot of breeding! i know when its going to happen or not! My boy is gay! lol

Thanx

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Telling me you know how to breed and that the male is being silly really doesn't have a whole lot of...value, but ok.
My first couple posts on this thread had the value! didnt think id have to repost them again inorder to make sence!

Anyway!

Thanx

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I just paired my GBB girl and I have to say that the female was definitely the aggressor. It took a LONG time for the male to build up the confidence to attempt an insertion. It was the female who initiated the tapping while following him around. He did not start anything and I don't think he would have if the female hadn't begun tapping. Maybe that's just how it works with this species. She also tried to eat him right during both attempts - but only right at the moment the insertion took place - she was extremely receptive beforehand. I guess I wouldn't blame the males for being overly cautious.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
P murinus are some of the easiest to breed! my male stayed with my female for 2 weeks! he made a sperm web in her enclosure and mated a couple times! untill i took him out!

How is this useful for the OP?

Again, that's what happened with me. Give the male some time.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sounds to me like you just need to be patient. Not all T's are the same, and act the same, even among same species. I mated 2 P. pederseni, and for a while, the male would tap, the female would walk up to him, bump his leg, and proceed to walk around him like he wasn't even there, yet 10 minutes before hand she attacked him when he was drumming.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
sounds to me like you just need to be patient. Not all T's are the same, and act the same, even among same species. I mated 2 P. pederseni, and for a while, the male would tap, the female would walk up to him, bump his leg, and proceed to walk around him like he wasn't even there, yet 10 minutes before hand she attacked him when he was drumming.
Ive tried them a couple times! and its starting to get a little late for both male and female!
But ill leave them another week try let them both feed! then give it another bash!? what do you think? thereafter ill try sorce a strait male!lol

Thanx