Cool video! Tarantula kills a darkling beetle!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hey guys, tarantula Youtuber The Spiderman (and he doesn't have an AB account) uploaded a video today in which he finds an adult darkling beetle (superworm) in the enclosure of his L. violaceopes (or whatever the friggin genus is, people can't decide). He feeds said beetle to another tarantula, and the awesomeness ensues. I didn't think the fangs would puncture that easily, I especially love the part where the T tries to bite through the wing covers and there's a harsh squealing and scratching sound as the fangs grind on the shell. I would love to give one of these beetles to a big Emperor scorpion, it would be cool to see the big claws smash through the beetle's shell.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Crunch!

I would be concerned that a large beetle would injure my tarantula with its powerful mandibles, so I would crush the head as a precaution.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I really like these beetles when they appear in my livefood tub. They give off a real stink when you handle them too.

Having one pop up in a tarantula enclosure is bad keeping in my opinion. You've let a morio worm disappear. A moulting T could very well become a cropper to a morio.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I really like these beetles when they appear in my livefood tub. They give off a real stink when you handle them too.

Having one pop up in a tarantula enclosure is bad keeping in my opinion. You've let a morio worm disappear. A moulting T could very well become a cropper to a morio.
Well he says in the video that he usually takes the worm out if the T doesn't grab it, and that this is the first time in awhile he's seen a beetle.