Convincing parents

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'm lucky because my parents don't really care lol. My dad's like "Eh whatever." And my mom says that she knows if one gets out, she can just smack it and it'll die. But my mom isn't fine with a dog or cat because if she smacks it, it won't die. Lol weird, but I guess logical and it's fine by me!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like several of these answers. What I wouldn't do is get one without asking first. If you live in their house, I wouldn't make waves.

You could do one of those venn diagrams. I'll start you off with some examples:

Tarantulas:
Good
  • Beautiful
  • Can be locked up
  • Rarely need more than spot cleaning
  • Feed once a week
  • Small Footprint
  • Keep a water dish full
"Bad"
  • Mild venom
  • They need food
  • They can bite
Now compared to a hamster
Good:
  • Good snack sized animal in case you're REALLY hungry
  • Can be cute
Bad:
  • Need fresh bedding regularly
  • Poop all over
  • Clean cage twice weekly
  • They stink!
  • Bedding and food is expensive
  • They stay up all night on those dang wheels
  • They bite (note the "can" missing here)
Recap: tarantulas are very low maintenance, easy to take care of, take up little room, cost little after the startup, and (if taken care of properly) rarely escape.

As a side note to you, you're not going to be able to get just one.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I like several of these answers. What I wouldn't do is get one without asking first. If you live in their house, I wouldn't make waves.

You could do one of those venn diagrams. I'll start you off with some examples:

Tarantulas:
Good
  • Beautiful
  • Can be locked up
  • Rarely need more than spot cleaning
  • Feed once a week
  • Small Footprint
  • Keep a water dish full
"Bad"
  • Mild venom
  • They need food
  • They can bite
Now compared to a hamster
Good:
  • Good snack sized animal in case you're REALLY hungry
  • Can be cute
Bad:
  • Need fresh bedding regularly
  • Poop all over
  • Clean cage twice weekly
  • They stink!
  • Bedding and food is expensive
  • They stay up all night on those dang wheels
  • They bite (note the "can" missing here)
Recap: tarantulas are very low maintenance, easy to take care of, take up little room, cost little after the startup, and (if taken care of properly) rarely escape.

As a side note to you, you're not going to be able to get just one.
This. Bring up the point that T really are very low maintenance safe animal. Tell them you won't be bringing it out of the enclosure, that's it's like fish in that part.

If she still seems uneasy, just tell her you could just get a 5 foot snake. Should make the little spider look like an alright option.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
If she still seems uneasy, just tell her you could just get a 5 foot snake. Should make the little spider look like an alright option.
My mom was fine with snakes & lizards when I lived there. She hates spiders though, so I waited until I was older with my own house.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My mum and dad hated the idea of me getting T's and mum said 'she wouldn't come visit if I got them (in jest).
Now that I have them they think they are great and even fed them for me while I was in vegas for 3weeks. (this is a 60year old man+woman however, not brought up in the era of scared muppets we have today)