Convert

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone ever been able to got a person that didn't like T's to become a T lover.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
all the time

i am very persuasive in real life

i have done full 'phobe to 'philic conversions... hmm, once for sure. my room mate was close to being my second but then got all wiggy. he did have millipedes in his room for a little while, though :)

i have done phobe to neutral a few times

i was just talking to a ex-'phobe about mating my C. fasciatum and how the male got munched and the lady was actually SAD for a spider dying! it was actually like, touching.

i've done TONS of neutral to positives in my coworkers and friends. random strangers at work have told me my cube was freaky (lots of handling pics in it) but have come back to talk more about my bugs with me :)

it helps if your targets have natural scientific curiousity or like animals of a dif sort. those are my two primary "ins"

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yes, many times. Really, alot of times people are scared of them is from what they hear and see in books and TV. When you talk to them reasonably in person, then show them live ones, they quickly become interested.

-Sean

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not a complete and total convert, but I have taken uninterested to interested, and phobic to tolerance.
I've been lucky, most of my friends have accepted the T's as a part of my life and don't give me a hard time about it. Some of them even ask how they are doing. I always carry pictures of my T's with me, and when we got together in a group last time, we had been sitting and chatting for a while, when one of them demanded to know why the pictures weren't out yet, because she hadn't seen my new T.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone ever been able to got a person that didn't like T's to become a T lover.
My 12 year old niece was absolutely terrified of all arachnids - T's included. She wouldn't approach a bathroom that might be hiding a Pholcus phalangioides in the shower. Now she makes me wait for her to get home from school if i get any new T's in the mail so she can help unpack them and move to their set-ups. She handles all the slings for photographing purposes, as well as, the couple of adult T's that "we" have now (OBT's & Pokie excluded of course!!) She captures true spiders from outside to photograph and releases them. She helps me with T maintence and feeding with great pleasure. i'm lucky that she lives with me and we already share a lot of hobbies together. She knows more dog breeds than those recognized by AKC. She has grown up in a house full of many species of animals but it is really cool to watch her appreciation for nature grow to include T's and all arachnids. She refers to all the T's by their scientific names and nobody knows what or who she's talking about except me. She's beyond an awesome kid! She is going to be in for a surprise for her 6th grade graduation when she comes home to find a beautiful female A. avic set up in her bedroom!! So yes, i'd say she most definitely did not like T's and now not only loves them but is more knowledgeable than your average adult who fears them because they don't understand them.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when someone holds their first T its a huge step for them geting over their fear of spiders...thats what ive noticed. But as far as them wanting to go home and buy one..i havent seen yet.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Girlfriend ! When I came home with my first T, she cried. Now she has asked me to get her an A. versicolour !

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All the time, it does get boring somewhat after a while. Boring is not the right word but I know someone knows what I am talking about. Its always the same questions, "Can't they kill you?", "you defanged yours right?", Amusing is a better term.

I am convinced that people dont like Ts cause most of them don't know anything about them. I have gotten people that used to cry just knowing there was a T in a box to hold one. It took some time for them to get used to the idea but its all mind over hollywood matter.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hahaha sure, one of them "My Mom" she hate all kind of animals and mainly the arachnids, but I showed her all about my babies and now she like them and sometimes she help me to feed them and even handle some. :D

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it happens alot....you go from having people say "eww thats nasty"....or...."what the hell is wrong with you".....or...."i'm never coming into your house"....then you kinda make them come inside. you let them stand on the other side of the room and then start opening and showing things. but don't go near them with anything. they WILL slowly walk right up to you and be on top of you looking at things. then about 30 minutes later you will have something crawling on them....peoples curosity takes over their fear. then they are telling everyone they know about it.

its all about educating. as alot have said. and learning makes that curosity come out

and then slowly one by one you get everyone to at least appreaciate them if nothing else.

and if someone is really afraid do not scare them or kid around with them. they will be scarred for life and not trust you.

moose

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i had this girl friend and she would just cringe about them,but with alittle time and patience she did come around,took sometime though.