Conventions, Expos, Shows for Tarantulas

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Better option would be to just a do a vacation. Figure out a spot you want to check and then go when they have a expo.

Vegas is nice because it's Vegas. Awesome food and lately there are lot of activities that don't need you to be 21. They got a pretty cool aquarium and the strip has some cool spots.

SLC is your best option if you are more into the outdoors. So maaaaannnyyy hiking spots that are really accessible. Our state capital is actual the starting point for the Mt.Ensign hike. We have two reptile expos a years. The LPS here usually have a decent stock. One of them is actually carrying CITES imported brachypelma baumgarteni. We have plenty of local breeders here you could grab a beer with too. Don't mind our crazy alcohol laws. We have AMAZING beer. You just have to visit the brewery itself to pick up. Smoked and Oaked from the award winning Epic Brewery.
This is exactly what I want to do. Most of the shows will be near some larger city so I can likely find something else enjoyable to do during the same trip.

I like Salt Lake City. My employer has a customer there so I have visited once or twice every year for the last few years. The streets are easy to navigate unlike our hilly curvy streets here. Even if I made a wrong turn there, I really never got lost because the mountains kept the coordinates right.

Giles52

Arachnopeon
We're going to Repticon in Denver, CO in April. It will be my first expo. Very excited. All I did was google it, and info popped up and whoop! There was one just a few hours from me. Actually, quite a few shows came up (just googled reptile expos in CO) but Repticon was the only one I recognized as a national show, so that's the one we're going to.

And looking at the list, it says Repticon will be in Atlanta in April as well :)

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Thanks for that information.

Unfortunately, I would never consider that much money for a an "unsexed" juvenile that I may not be able to pair. I would likely want to target bicoloratum slings in the event the species is harder to find in a female. In fact, I will probably move on to other species if I end up finding it is almost extinct. I don't see this T on Netbug's website.

But the show you are mentioning might be worth the investigation for other T's since it is much quicker travel time.
http://reptileexpo.com/white-plains.html
Oh if I recall correctly It may have been a molt sexed female but I can't say I remember for sure I'd contact them if your interested. She doesn't list everything she has on the website especially rare species and sexed females that I see at the expos.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That show is only about 1/3 the size of our Baltimore Repticon, and most of those Greenville vendors appear to be reptile specific.
I looked at the Atlanta show and it appears to be much larger than Greenville. I can easily go to it as well since I have family living in Georgia. What is probably the biggest Repticon in the USA each year?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What is probably the biggest Repticon in the USA each year?
Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not sure.
Of course, there are other large reptile/herp shows out there, some that are bigger than many Repticons. Like NARBC, or some of the Northeast Expos like the White Plains show.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Just throwing my 2 cents in the ring, I moved from Atlanta a few months ago and went to their reptile show 'repticon' whenever it came to town every 3-4 months. It is AWESOME however I was going for snakes and mainly ball pythons. There are a few invert vendors there every time but it will be overwhelmingly reptiles. (Funny story, a centipede escaped last time I went and luckily it was found very quickly)

If you go, just know your invert selection will be limited. It is however a very fun show and you'll see some cool reptiles and other animals. I went to repticon in Tampa and it was much larger and had a few more invert vendors.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard that there won't be an ATS show this year now that Ken the Bug Guy sold his shop. Can anyone confirm this?

There is zero mention of a 2017 ATS Conference anywhere online.
I can dispel this rumor.
I spoke with a member of the board about conference dates and they're "...trying to hash that out right now. Trying to coordinate with IECC. (Invertebrates in Education and Conservation Conference) Should have an answer soon."