Container Question

Blaze

Arachnopeon
alright guys i have a small plastic container thats vaccum sealed, that i house my B smithi sling in. i couldn't get holes in the container yet, due to a lack of a drillbit, so what i did was remove the lid, cover the lid with alluminum foil, and poke several holes in the foil with a toothpick. i then wrapped two rubberbands tightly to secure the foil on the container. do you guys think this will suffice for a while?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I would imagine it could rip through an airhole or something if it wanted to. Foil is really flimsy and tarantulas surprisingly strong. I wouldn't take the chance.
Can't you use something else, like a nail or something to poke some holes?

Blaze

Arachnopeon
i wrapped about 4 pieces of foil, not just one :s. i could try but i'd rather use a drillbit and not screw up. you honestly think a 1.5 inch smithi could escape?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
might want to invest in a soldering iron, works better than a drill bit.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I attest to the ease of use of the soldering iron...even though I shelled out $32 for a new one (hopefully I'll use it enough!). My old one was too big and had solder all over it...wasn't sure if that was safe...

Word of warning...the fumes of melting plastic are terrible...do it outside if you can...or in a well-ventilated place.

Pantihose (clean!) is always a good option for the top 'lid' if you're substituting fabric.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I know it's just a sling, but if adult spiders can tear their way through metal screening, I think the sling can make short work of foil, cloth, or pantyhose if it really wanted to.

EDIT:
Oh if you look through that thread, it will show the handiwork of a 2" B. emilia. I wouldn't chance it if I were you.

Last edited:

Rue

Arachnoknight
Hm...with a large adult...I can see it happening...

But an early instar who's primarily concerned about hiding and staying safe? Unlikely.

When in doubt though...go for the safest method of containment. Don't want to be kicking yourself later on should something happen...

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've used coffee filters on mason jars before and never had an escapee. They were housed in this manner from sling to about 3 inches.