Constipated Ball - I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong

aspieguy

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My ball python is constipated. She hasn't defecated ever while in my care (since October 2010), despite her eating a prekilled mouse once a week until a month ago when she decided to stop eating.

This is her -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5501993&l=4664163b8a&id=510547503

I feel like I have gone over everything, but yet still she won't eat or defecate. I've read numerous care sheets online and still I don't know what I am doing wrong!

Going to a reptile vet isn't an option. Why? Quite simply, there are no reptile vets, and I couldn't afford one even if there was one.

Enclosure:
I have her in a glass aquarium about 2 feet long by about a foot wide.

Substrate:
I am using some exo-terra substrate I bought at a reptile store. I don't know what it is called.

Humidity:
Anywhere between 60%-80%. I mist her enclosure once every 2 or 3 days.

Temperature:
I keep the room at a 30˚C all day, year round. She has an under tank heater covering the bottom of one side of her aquarium, like I was told. My thermometer says the hot side is around 85˚F to 91˚F. I don't know what the temp. of the other side is.

Miscellaneous:
She has a cardboard box hide and some paper towel rolls to hide in (she's almost always in a paper towel roll). I have a water dish that she can soak in.

So, tell me, what am I doing wrong? Am I not doing anything wrong and just overreacting? What? :?

My experience with milk snakes and corn snakes is that they do indeed defecate out their meals.

I read online that soaking my ball in warm, shallow water helps with constipation. I did this twice with my ball with no results.

What am I doing wrong?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
What size mice are you feeding her? Also you really need to regulate your heat better, that is a huge range. Temp should be 90 or so on the hot side, 85 is too cool. What are you using to measure temp? A digital thermometer or one of those sticky ones?

Last edited:

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
85 on the hot side wouldn't be terrible. generally cycle 12 hours a day or so (depending on the season, guessing she's not breeding)

but the ambient temperatures at night will dip into the 72-77 range

not the worst...

sometimes it just happens.