Problem Constant spam pop ups on mobile

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
Whenever I am on mobile I have been getting an increasing amount of spam pop ups about winning some Amazon lottery or a Samsung lottery. Is anyone else having this issue? I do not want to accidentally get malware on my phone.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was getting it for awhile almost a year ago, and I wasn't the only one affected. It hasn't happened since, though. I never quite found a fix, the popups simply went away on their own after awhile.

What I did find is that clearing your cache (both on the phone itself as well as your browser) helps quite a bit.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Search engine: mobile ad pop ups
Do yourself a favor and follow their step by step on checking for and how to delete installed garbage as well.

Addendum: Wife complained about phone working slow. Blames my router. 1 hour later following search engine found suggestions it is now 14.7 GB of trash lighter and runs lightning fast. Around 70 unwanted apps deleted as well.
Every time you follow a thread on social media can also be a yes click to install crap.

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If you’re on mobile, it would be good to install an adguard or two, so it can automatically block popup adds that constantly harass you.

That’s what I did, and I am browsing AB without any ad pop ups.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
It used to happen to me as well, when I got this phone I'm on now, the first site I clicked on was this one and the popups started appearing, but they stopped after a week.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
If you’re on mobile, it would be good to install an adguard or two, so it can automatically block popup adds that constantly harass you.

That’s what I did, and I am browsing AB without any ad pop ups.
I was considering ad block but I know some sites keep ads on and get money from them so I had not enabled it.
Search engine: mobile ad pop ups
Do yourself a favor and follow their step by step on checking for and how to delete installed garbage as well.

Addendum: Wife complained about phone working slow. Blames my router. 1 hour later following search engine found suggestions it is now 14.7 GB of trash lighter and runs lightning fast. Around 70 unwanted apps deleted as well.
Every time you follow a thread on social media can also be a yes click to install crap.
I will try clearing my cache and looking into that on my home computer as well because internet has overall been slow lately. (Mom loves social media go figure) thanks!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I will try clearing my cache and looking into that on my home computer as well because internet has overall been slow lately.
Something(s) all serious net users should do.
1. Check your internet connection. Latency, Download and Upload speeds. There are dozens of quick free tests. Do this test without any other connect to the net in the background. IE fresh browser start and go only to the speed test. Write the three test results down. When you experience slow downs, run another test and compare. This tells you if the slow down is your ISP or your rig - mea culpa.
2. Clean house. Millions of programs and apps 'phone home'. Some are periodical, some constant. Best situation: BLOCK ALL CONNECTS. If you have to be notified of every like you get from every social site, rethink your life. Maybe see a shrink. Each connect slows your net a tiny bit. BUT that junk in your rig can slow things to a crawl as the CPU and OS has to juggle every one of them.
3. Whenever possible, with apps and programs, tell it to ask before phoning home. Phoning home: Checking for updates or sending your browsing history to advertising companies or downloading advertisements? Limit your phone homes to one period of time every 24 hours when you aren't needing bandwidth.
4. Clean out the crap. Web surf for crap cleaners like Crap Cleaner. And do yourself a favor, don't go shopping for cleaners like you just toked some killer grass and are cruising the munchy aisles of the supermarket. Be a cautious sensible consumer. If in doubt about ANY PROGRAM, slam it in your search engine thusly: ProgramIWouldLike + scam or + virus or + adware. A little comparison shopping won't kill you.
5. If you have a conventional hard drive, Defrag. If you don't know what defrag is, you deserve the slow down. Suck it up.
Do NOT defrag SSDs as the putz thing in your phones.
6. Think before click. At any given time there are a few million scam artists, con artists, hackers and trolls who would love to trash your rig and maybe life. The click is YES, lay it on me! I'm bending over!!
7. So you have decided to download an app or program. Of course you have comparison shopped. Of course your download is coming from the real deal and not some weird web site. If in any doubt, the search engine is your friend. File Hippo + scam and so on. Have the search engine vet and groom everything you download.
8. And of course, you do a complete back up of all your precious data on a very regular basis and never hum the mantra beat-me-I'm-stupid.
9. Bonus bonus. For serious comp users, you change out your hard drive around the day the warranty on it expires, right? And clone that drive to the new one and stuff the old one in a drawer just in case your rig takes the big dump.

Last edited:

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
Something(s) all serious net users should do.
1. Check your internet connection. Latency, Download and Upload speeds. There are dozens of quick free tests. Do this test without any other connect to the net in the background. IE fresh browser start and go only to the speed test. Write the three test results down. When you experience slow downs, run another test and compare. This tells you if the slow down is your ISP or your rig - mea culpa.
2. Clean house. Millions of programs and apps 'phone home'. Some are periodical, some constant. Best situation: BLOCK ALL CONNECTS. If you have to be notified of every like you get from every social site, rethink your life. Maybe see a shrink. Each connect slows your net a tiny bit. BUT that junk in your rig can slow things to a crawl as the CPU and OS has to juggle every one of them.
3. Whenever possible, with apps and programs, tell it to ask before phoning home. Phoning home: Checking for updates or sending your browsing history to advertising companies or downloading advertisements? Limit your phone homes to one period of time every 24 hours when you aren't needing bandwidth.
4. Clean out the crap. Web surf for crap cleaners like Crap Cleaner. And do yourself a favor, don't go shopping for cleaners like you just toked some killer grass and are cruising the munchy aisles of the supermarket. Be a cautious sensible consumer. If in doubt about ANY PROGRAM, slam it in your search engine thusly: ProgramIWouldLike + scam or + virus or + adware. A little comparison shopping won't kill you.
5. If you have a conventional hard drive, Defrag. If you don't know what defrag is, you deserve the slow down. Suck it up.
Do NOT defrag SSDs as the putz thing in your phones.
6. Think before click. At any given time there are a few million scam artists, con artists, hackers and trolls who would love to trash your rig and maybe life. The click is YES, lay it on me! I'm bending over!!
7. So you have decided to download an app or program. Of course you have comparison shopped. Of course your download is coming from the real deal and not some weird web site. If in any doubt, the search engine is your friend. File Hippo + scam and so on. Have the search engine vet and groom everything you download.
8. And of course, you do a complete back up of all your precious data on a very regular basis and never hum the mantra beat-me-I'm-stupid.
9. Bonus bonus. For serious comp users, you change out your hard drive around the day the warranty on it expires, right? And clone that drive to the new one and stuff the old one in a drawer just in case your rig takes the big dump.
Very informative thank you very much I will be giving this a shot when I return home!