Considering putting my A.Metallica in a Exo-Terra Nano Terrarium, but I'm worried...

Turiell

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I have a concern and need some advice please. I just ordered an A.Metallica and wanted to buy the arboreal enclosure from Jamie's Tarantulas, but I can't afford it right now. So instead I turned to the Exo-Terra Nano Tall Terrarium. I searched some posts on here to see what people thought about this enclosure and some people advised against it because it doesn't have the cross ventilation that's needed for Avics, and because of the screen lid.

They recommended that the screen be ripped out and replaced with an acrylic one, but I'm not sure if I can afford to do that, or really where to go to get it done. Home Depot? Please don't laugh at my stupidity, I never knew any of this stuff could be done before! Yeah, I'm that goofy. :wacky: :rofl:

So anyway my main question is, are there many people here that have kept Avics in this enclosure without changing the lid and had no problems? Did your Avic survive and thrive? I just want mine to be safe and healthy of course, so if anyone would like to share their advice and experience with this enclosure that would be so awesome! Thank you all for your time and patience! I really do appreciate ya'll! :kiss:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
My A. metallica did fine in it for about two years. He molted in it as well. These cages have plenty of cross ventilation.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I use them for my Pokies and Avics.. No poblems ever.. I don't modify them in any way either.. I love them..

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Screen lids are suoer easy to replace. First, buy a large piece of cheap, thin acrylic from your local Lowe's or Home Depot. Then, find some safe sealant, usually around the same store. Then, find a way to cut it. You could buy an acrylic cutter, but I just found someone who has the machinery and expertise to cut it pretty perfectly. Then, once cut, place your piece where the screen was and put sealant all around it. Wait a day or so for it to dry and you are fine. You could do the same thing with aquariums on their side like Robc, but it takes a little more cutting and a few more pieces. Super easy, and really cheap if you can find the right materials ;)

Leila

Arachnobaron
Screen lids are suoer easy to replace. First, buy a large piece of cheap, thin acrylic from your local Lowe's or Home Depot. Then, find some safe sealant, usually around the same store. Then, find a way to cut it. You could buy an acrylic cutter, but I just found someone who has the machinery and expertise to cut it pretty perfectly. Then, once cut, place your piece where the screen was and put sealant all around it. Wait a day or so for it to dry and you are fine. You could do the same thing with aquariums on their side like Robc, but it takes a little more cutting and a few more pieces. Super easy, and really cheap if you can find the right materials ;)
These things confuse me to no end. Lol! I am not tool-savvy.

What does one use to pierce holes in acrylic? (for future reference)

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Drill? What language are you speakiiiing?? Lol. Just kidding. Is there a specific drill bit(?) one must use for such projects?
I use a bit size based on what size T it is. I like using the largest one I can get away with. It doesn't really matter what size as long as they can't squeeze through.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Hey all, I have a concern and need some advice please. I just ordered an A.Metallica and wanted to buy the arboreal enclosure from Jamie's Tarantulas, but I can't afford it right now. So instead I turned to the Exo-Terra Nano Tall Terrarium. I searched some posts on here to see what people thought about this enclosure and some people advised against it because it doesn't have the cross ventilation that's needed for Avics, and because of the screen lid.

They recommended that the screen be ripped out and replaced with an acrylic one, but I'm not sure if I can afford to do that, or really where to go to get it done. Home Depot? Please don't laugh at my stupidity, I never knew any of this stuff could be done before! Yeah, I'm that goofy. :wacky: :rofl:

So anyway my main question is, are there many people here that have kept Avics in this enclosure without changing the lid and had no problems? Did your Avic survive and thrive? I just want mine to be safe and healthy of course, so if anyone would like to share their advice and experience with this enclosure that would be so awesome! Thank you all for your time and patience! I really do appreciate ya'll! :kiss:
I couldn't afford the enclosures from Jamie's either. Exo's work fine and they are easier to find used as well. I have a big female A metallica in a 12x12x18 Exo Terra and she's fine. I also know it shouldn't, but there is still the screen lid. I'll get to switching it before long. I say get the Exo, switch tops when you can. Just keep an eye out. They are nice for display.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So anyway my main question is, are there many people here that have kept Avics in this enclosure without changing the lid and had no problems? Did your Avic survive and thrive?
There are a lot of DIY options for enclosures, ranged from inexpensive to expensive and easy to shop skills required.

I have successfully kept two Avicularia avicularia in Exo Terra Nano/Tall enclosures. Ventilation is apparently adequate, at least for the hardier species. My Avic treehouse:

Avics will absolutely climb on the mesh lid, so you will either need to prevent them from climbing up there or replace the lid with something their claws can't get stuck in.

Pieces of acrylic are not really that expensive, and places like Lowes or Home Depot will cut them to your specifications (so you just need to drill holes).

What I did as a temporary fix was loosely drape a sheet of cotton beneath the mesh. I used to see her go up on the mesh, which worried me, but since I added the sheet, she doesn't do it anymore. (I saw her try it once or twice. She tentatively placed one foot on the sheet, apparently felt that she could not get a secure foothold, and continued walking around on the glass instead.) The temporary fix has worked so well during the last three years that it's no longer temporary.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
My A. metallica did fine in it for about two years. He molted in it as well. These cages have plenty of cross ventilation.
I have an exo-terra for a crested gecko, and am not sure where the cross ventilation is...because I don't see it. I see solid glass. Are you referring to the vent holes on the front? Or do some models come with cross ventilation?

If these work fine I'd totally buy one. I've just read varying opinions on it and it makes me hesitant. Unfortunately, can't get a T without an enclosure lol. That's kinda the thing I'm stuck on at this point.

Question. Do you all leave the background in the exo that it comes with? That foamy stuff? Or do you remove it and add corkbark instead.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I remove the backfround. For me, it looks ugly and takes up an inch+ of tank space. Figure if I want one, I could make one that looks better and takes up less space. Also, the cross venting is the front under the doors + the top screen. Not the best, but it still works fine :D

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I remove the backfround. For me, it looks ugly and takes up an inch+ of tank space. Also, the cross venting is the front under the doors + the top screen. Not the best, but it still works fine :D
Ah ok. Don't really think of that as cross ventilation but I suppose it is in a sense. Maybe I will pick one of those up...

Is the background an ok substitute for cork bark? Are there any issues you could see coming up with the background?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Guess you could, but it's huge and bulky. You'd probably be better off just getting a nice, big cork round or flat. Would look a lot nicer ;)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
To me, yep ;) Also, not sure how much the T would like that big, bulky background, but I'm sure they could make it work if you maybe cut it to fit diagonally.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i use screen for Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Avicularia, etc.
arboreals dont have any issues with screen, they are built to be nimble and climb everything. been using exo tera for years, my favorite cages out there. would use them for all my arboreals but they can get fairly pricey.

i personally like the background, its better than anything i have time or money to make, cork is too expensive.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I use 5 Exo Terras. Never had an issue. All tarantulas (A metallica, P regalis, P cambridgei, P irminia, and I hirsutum) all do fine. The Exo's are cheaper than the acrylic enclosures you get from a place like Jamies. I have found several used ones too, saving more $$$.
I also remove the stupid foam backing.