Considering orange headed roaches ??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Any tips advice , would I be better off ordering smaller ones and raising them Up from that size to breed them as feeders ,or spend more for 3/4-1” size ones for less growth time?
I’m in no hurry to get a colony going but quicker might save me money on superworms. It’s also cheaper to buy smaller sized ones..
how bad is the odor?
Do you need a heater pad it says they breed at room temperature??
Substrate or not ??
Plastic vs glass tank ?
Sunlight allowed into tank yes /no? For example sunlight is healthy or natural??

Last edited:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Depends on timeframe really, when you want to start feeding and when you want to start producing, and how much. And of course what sized roaches you
will be feeding off... if you need a constant supply of 1st stage nymphs for slings, you will need a lot less than if you want to start feeding adults right now.
I'd get enough adults to breed now, and top that off with enough 1st instar nymphs to feed half off while the rest grow...
That worked really well for dubia. Could also get a few of each size in between, and not feed those off, so there's already ones to replace the next stage all the way
up, instant colony. I know there is an odor and the nymphs can climb smooth surfaces is about it otherwise.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
:angelic:
Depends on timeframe really, when you want to start feeding and when you want to start producing, and how much. And of course what sized roaches you
will be feeding off... if you need a constant supply of 1st stage nymphs for slings, you will need a lot less than if you want to start feeding adults right now.
I'd get enough adults to breed now, and top that off with enough 1st instar nymphs to feed half off while the rest grow...
That worked really well for dubia. Could also get a few of each size in between, and not feed those off, so there's already ones to replace the next stage all the way
up, instant colony. I know there is an odor and the nymphs can climb smooth surfaces is about it otherwise.
Should I put them in a glass cage then or a kritter keeper how do you keep babies from escaping if they climb smooth surfaces?
What’s the tiniest whole a baby can escape are kritter keep too wide slotted?
Maybe I’ll go with 3/4-1” ones , can only babies climb ?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Plain vaseline around the top rim, like an inch wide is what I did for hissers, I'd have to go 3 or 4 to keep adults down but they can't get through holes or crushed by sliding. The pic on wikipedia shows them in the sunshine, like a tropical arboreal setup maybe, so I don't know. They might like an arboreal/fossorial glass enclosure with the lid on top... I wouldn't get them over 90 without more research but they will like heat, and I suspect they will not breed at room temps under high 70s. For direct sun the enclosure better have excellent ventilation and very dark places too. For dubia 120f will kill them quite fast if they can't escape it. Might not risk it. Heat pad under or stuck to a side with thermostat with probe in the enclosure is the safest. Then they have a gradient as well, and nothing will get too much over if the probe is near the heat source and low. Now these are actually looking kindof fun if they don't prefer being locked away in a cave, and you can feed them too, good luck!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Plain vaseline around the top rim, like an inch wide is what I did for hissers, I'd have to go 3 or 4 to keep adults down but they can't get through holes or crushed by sliding. The pic on wikipedia shows them in the sunshine, like a tropical arboreal setup maybe, so I don't know. They might like an arboreal/fossorial glass enclosure with the lid on top... I wouldn't get them over 90 without more research but they will like heat, and I suspect they will not breed at room temps under high 70s. For direct sun the enclosure better have excellent ventilation and very dark places too. For dubia 120f will kill them quite fast if they can't escape it. Might not risk it. Heat pad under or stuck to a side with thermostat with probe in the enclosure is the safest. Then they have a gradient as well, and nothing will get too much over if the probe is near the heat source and low. Now these are actually looking kindof fun if they don't prefer being locked away in a cave, and you can feed them too, good luck!
They must breed at room temperature because a heat pad only gets the wall hot at a certain spot it can’t make the whole enclosure 90 f? If placed on the bottom it would probably supply the most heat ? I have A few without thermometers and they suck barely warm up a few degrees over room temp.
My dubia bread for 4 years room temp now are suddenly stopped it seems . I added a heat pad but it barely does anything need small New one .

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I like underneath. Then they can dig to the heat and cool off on the eggflats, but really depends on the enclosure. I have a seedling mat with adjustable thermostat under my dubia and a thermometer in the substrate touching the bottom and I turn it up and down and shoot for 87, but it worries me because the mat has to be set to 110 or 120 and I have to turn it up and down as the floor changes depending on the weather. Ideally I'd beef up the mat and use a thermostat. My dubia did nothing but abort ooths until I got them up in the 80's

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I like underneath. Then they can dig to the heat and cool off on the eggflats, but really depends on the enclosure. I have a seedling mat with adjustable thermostat under my dubia and a thermometer in the substrate touching the bottom and I turn it up and down and shoot for 87, but it worries me because the mat has to be set to 110 or 120 and I have to turn it up and down as the floor changes depending on the weather. Ideally I'd beef up the mat and use a thermostat. My dubia did nothing but abort ooths until I got them up in the 80's
how big of a container do I need until their adult is a big plastic container enough until I can clean the larger one out ?
Plan on getting 100 of them 3/4-1”.
I take it orange head requires substrate if your just starting out ?
I’ll have to use a small heater pad until I can get a bigger one. The cheaper and or larger ones only go up to 104 degrees. One goes to 120 so far out of all ive seen. 0B99F874-4B83-40AB-BF63-8D3539A06666.jpeg BE888651-63FB-4223-93FC-01E18779C300.jpeg

Last edited:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I use substrate mostly just to keep them off the heat pad for dubia and they dig. That ought to work for a couple of months. Cut a big square in the top and cover with screen, hot glue it I'd say.. or similar. plenty of egg cartons or whatever you know the drill. 100 large roaches and especially breeding will look like a lot in there, I'd rehouse as soon as nymphs start to appear at the latest. If the heatpad is too hot for that tub, just raise it up with something a few inches from the pad. I'd think a small one would work for that for sure.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I use substrate mostly just to keep them off the heat pad for dubia and they dig. That ought to work for a couple of months. Cut a big square in the top and cover with screen, hot glue it I'd say.. or similar. plenty of egg cartons or whatever you know the drill. 100 large roaches and especially breeding will look like a lot in there, I'd rehouse as soon as nymphs start to appear at the latest. If the heatpad is too hot for that tub, just raise it up with something a few inches from the pad. I'd think a small one would work for that for sure.
Is this green bin big enough until they’re adult atleast? My biggest bin im still trying to figure out which heating pad and thermostat to use . My thermostats both got lost … plus I gotta wait to use the hose to clean the big bin . They need heat to breed or id just let them be at room temperature. Around 70-72 room temp :sad:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Should be big enough, probably need 80's, I dunno... Roach nymphs can usually be sexed after a couple of instars or earlier, so if you get bored you could tune your ratio early and feed some off... High points in room can be an alternative too, if you have a spot that gets warm, shelf above something with a heatpad/lamp etc.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Should be big enough, probably need 80's, I dunno... Roach nymphs can usually be sexed after a couple of instars or earlier, so if you get bored you could tune your ratio early and feed some off... High points in room can be an alternative too, if you have a spot that gets warm, shelf above something with a heatpad/lamp etc.
How deep of substrate is probably enough 2-3”?? To keep humidity high enough for this species . Had another 2 dubia die I may end up having to switch species if they die out entirely before breeding. Poor Dubias did so well for years now down to last 28 . Or get the oranges established while trying to save the Dubias .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My Container seems kinda small I gotta move the main egg carton to feed them . A few are still waking up from the cold, sluggish.
06262988-4640-4CE6-92D0-ADB587C5508E.jpeg 641DB034-B0EB-4BF3-9FCB-D5D792B64E6F.jpeg E1930153-CF45-4372-A5A4-0DB10C5AE53B.jpeg ED616AAA-9F5B-4054-A6A8-4B2681EF0AB1.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My Container seems kinda small I gotta move the main egg carton to feed them . A few are still waking up from the cold, sluggish. Slow just like dubia how long til they’re breedable a month ? 3/4-1”
Should had tried no substrate so I can get an idea how many roaches
Some are still not recovered from shipping hope they all make it , in fact they didn’t All make it..
What should I place feeding stuff veggies /fruit on I used a plastic lid but it seems there burrowing in the substrate might knock it over??

Any help ??

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I should had gotten multiple sized ones it seems I went to small now I gotta wait a few weeks or so for them to be adults. 3/4-1” size but some are under 3/4”.
I gotta put air holes in the lid I don’t have enough circulation. I’m placing them in my bedroom the hottest room in the house with a small head pad .
Can’t figure out why I am not getting much responses from this thread 🧵 I should had named it orange roach care . Maybe I’ll make another thread but care seems almost identical to Dubias .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I had to remove the substrate they kept dying in it .
any tips?? Right now I’m raising them the same as dubia roaches just more humidity.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I had to remove the substrate they kept dying in it .
any tips?? Right now I’m raising them the same as dubia roaches just more humidity.
Nah, maybe ask the people you got them from... Shouldn't be dying in numbers, some maybe from shock or whatever, but not a lot. Temp, hydration, or something they're eating, maybe in the substrate... I'd ask them, they might need kept completely different, who knows.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nah, maybe ask the people you got them from... Shouldn't be dying in numbers, some maybe from shock or whatever, but not a lot. Temp, hydration, or something they're eating, maybe in the substrate... I'd ask them, they might need kept completely different, who knows.
I did do that messaged about 1/3 of them dying . I got a blank bs message about overcounts, I won’t be ordering from the same site again .
Wish I could find someone who legit sold the amount listed , I didn’t get close to 100. And 1/3 of them died .

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Any tips for caring for under 50 roaches .

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Mine were dying In the substrate so I removed it , how many months before 1” dubia become adults???
I paid for 100 ended up with 40-50 after 20 of them died and I never got close to 100.. damn seller wasn’t honest it seems.