considering a rose hair...

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, i've been thinking about this for some time and as they're SO easy to care for, i have put serious consideration into it. there are some locally that just came into my favorite pet store. they are extremely knowledgable people that take amazing care of all the animals they supply.

in anycase, i am now more and more drawn to the rose hairs. i think the desert blonds are also lovely but i've heard so many good things about the roses (docile, gentle, calm, slow, etc.) that i'm really interested.

i'm a little nervous about handling them. could anyone give me some tips? also, i'm really usually good about reading animal/reptile/bird behavior and moods, but can anyone give me some pointers for the more subtle behavior?

obviously, if they rear, display fangs, blah blah, they're unhappy right? (grin, just kidding) heheehe.

anyway i'd love to hear from others. just saw a crazy pic on livejournal of this girl who put bunny ears that she made on her rose hair. i was beside-myself impressed that the tarantula was so calm and easy-going. :)

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I dont think they are a bad T for a beginner, (are you a beginner? ) but they are a little weird, and they can have mood swings. My boyfriend's G. rosea used to be very calm, now Mr. Jingles is really skittish and defensive. The big female I got about a week ago is totally confident and calm. Ah well, my first T was a P. murinus, I only learned about their totally defensive temperment AFTER I placed the order. "Look but dont touch" kinda thing. If you want a Rose go for it, cant really go wrong with them. If you get a fiesty one go exchange it...... I wouldn't recommend the bunny ears though........=D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
(grin) i am a TOTAL beginner yes. hmmm...don't worry, i will definitely exchange it. is there any good way to tell besides initial impressions how calm/fiesty they'll be?

what are some other good beginner Ts? i'm going for calm, docile, slow here... :)

Originally posted by HerpInvertGirl
Well, I dont think they are a bad T for a beginner, (are you a beginner? ) but they are a little weird, and they can have mood swings. My boyfriend's G. rosea used to be very calm, now Mr. Jingles is really skittish and defensive. The big female I got about a week ago is totally confident and calm. Ah well, my first T was a P. murinus, I only learned about their totally defensive temperment AFTER I placed the order. "Look but dont touch" kinda thing. If you want a Rose go for it, cant really go wrong with them. If you get a fiesty one go exchange it...... I wouldn't recommend the bunny ears though........=D

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, since I am a beginner too this may be like the blind leading the blind, but here it goes. I've read that brazilian blacks are docile, but expensive. So are the curly hair (woolly) And I think they run about the same prices as the roses. Uhh, Pinktoe tarantulas are aboreal, but docile. (I think). If you look for a calm spider, IME, if you blow a puff of air on it, and it goes apesh** it prob. wont be the calmest pet. That is only in my experience, which is somewhat limited. If it rears up at slight movement, or dashes about the enclosure then you prob. wont want it. Hopefully someone here with a bit more experience will reply as this is only what I've dealt with, so far. Seems like the bigger the spider is the calmer it will be too. But that isn't ironclad by any means. Nothing is :)

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since you mention handling, I have to suggest a curly hair (sometimes called "wooly" in pet stores)

Our curly is much calmer and handleable than any of our t's, even our rosies are more skiddish.

Many people here will tell you they have agressive rose hairs, but I haven't heard anyone say they changed their curly's name to killer lately.

Ali

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by HerpInvertGirl
Hey Alidpayne, where in Kentucky are you if I might ask? (off topic I know)
Western KY (Madisonville)

You?

Ali

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hmmm, okay. i'll try out the softly blowing on them trick...from afar, heh. :)

what about desert blonds?

now, already this is sad, but i just looked up two Ts and i am smitten with their beauty!

how are Avicularia versicolor & Avicularia metallica? they are just GORGEOUS and supposedly it says, docile.

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
how are Avicularia versicolor & Avicularia metallica? they are just GORGEOUS and supposedly it says, docile.
Both are docile, but they are VERY fast. I wouldn't recommend handling these untill you have gotten familiar with the individual and handled other t's. Any Avic. species is pretty fast, and can get away from you pretty easily. My husband and I always handle ours togeather, that way when one runs up my arm and down my back he can get her... LOL

Ali

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you may want to think about Eupalaestrus campestratus, they are great for handling and very easy to care for. Some other trantulas that are good fo handling are:
  • Grammostola pulchra
  • Grammostola areostriata
  • most Brachypelma
  • most Aphonopelma
These are just a few of the many docil tarantulas that would be good for handling.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks guys!

okay, well, i took the plunge and i came home with a rose hair!!! hopefully a she, just lovely and VERY docile. if alarmed, she'll run away but hasn't been defensive in the least as of yet. i am very, very pleased.

it took me half an hour to hold her for a few seconds...lol. then, the second time, i couldn't get enough. it is absolutely amazing how light they are! she's gorgeous in the light and the little hooks on her legs are barely anything on your skin. awesome. =D

i am very, very happy. she's been sitting in one place a little grooming. i have her with a rock, a shallow water dish (which she drank and drank from at first) on spagham moss, lightly misted. it's drying now.

she groomed herself for quite a while...is that a sign of feeling safe as it is for other creatures? just curious. she doesn't have a hide yet and i wondered about peoples' opinions on this. i have a small log hide available if recommended that i can use immediately.

i hope to eventially work up to avics then, they are gorgeous! next on my list if i get another will be a curly hair i think as they seem highly recommended. oh, what do you guys think about the pink zebra beauties?

here's a link to pics of her i took and her new home, enjoy!

http://geckoisland.com/modules.php?...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
other options...

i think the Aphonopelma bicoloratum & the Brachypelma smithi are lovely. is it true that they have hairs that are more course and therefore more irritating?

these are docile and good with handling as well?

the Eupalaestrus campestratus i think are really quite lovely with their muted pastel shades too, what about those?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf

anyway i'd love to hear from others. just saw a crazy pic on livejournal of this girl who put bunny ears that she made on her rose hair. i was beside-myself impressed that the tarantula was so calm and easy-going. :)
I think a G. rosea is an excellent choice. If you are afraid to pick it up try leather gloves, until you build your confidence. Good luck with your Chilean Rose Hair, may she be as docile as mine!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks so much! :) so far she is awesome and i'm highly pleased. she has been very rewarding in the one whole day i've had her...lol!:}

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your doing good, it took three months after I got my first tarantula before I would hold it. I had to start slow by touching it's back legs, then one day I just picked it up and my fear was gone.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well...(grin) i've held her but i haven't actually picked her up yet...heh. i guess i'll try doing that in just a little while. i'm sure though that i'm far more intimidating to her. i mean, she's SO small.

beautiful though and very docile. i'm still just beside myself with delight. :)

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im fairly new to Ts also
I have several scorpions and Like my Ts even better , My 1st buy was a Rose , but like so many have stated on any givin day these guys/gals can do what thier instincts tell them .. and that is to act in a defensive manor. Weird things can set them off .. sounds , temp. changes (ie. air hot or cold ) and just for no reasons at all . My rose is calm yet I can tell when she doesnt want 2 be messed with .. dont OVER LOOK the signs . Mine hunches in a ball and brings her legs all around her in a protective stance. Some times its way better 2 LOOK than touch ! Best of luck and congrats !!! FRoST

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks, don't worry, i definitely watch for signs. (grin) i'd rather not hinder our relationship by having a bite. it'd be stressful for her just as much if not moreso than me. heh.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When I bought my G.rosea the shopkeeper was alergic to her hairs, so he got me to pick her up and put her into the plastic box. This was my first experience of handling a T and I'm kind of glad that I got it over and done with right at the start. Having said that, I now think it was quite irresponsible of the shopkeeper to risk the T's life in the hands of a complete noob.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We have 2 Rose hairs and we don't handle them but they do have mood swings . My husband when he gives them water they will go into defensive mode and almost try to attack his hand. But on somedays they are good t's We have a male and Female Rose haired . The Orange Usambra Baboon she won't attack or go into defensive mode if she is no where near the water dish.