Considering 1st Scorp, here are my choices

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm a complete scorpion noob, but have been looking at scorp info for the past three nights. Here are the three species that really seem to have my interest.

Iomachus politus - same family as Hadogenes, but looks better imo and should be very very very low venom toxicity. I guess these guys stay pretty small...less than 2" as adults? What size enclosure would I need for an adult? What if I did a communal tank with about 3-5 of them?

Heterometrus longimanus/Heterometrus spinifer - they seem about the same to me with spinifer being larger and they have nicer looking claws than Emperor. I think I've read that they are more active than emperor. I think they have a sting about that of a bee or a bit stronger?

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm a complete scorpion noob, but have been looking at scorp info for the past three nights. Here are the three species that really seem to have my interest.

Iomachus politus - same family as Hadogenes, but looks better imo and should be very very very low venom toxicity. I guess these guys stay pretty small...less than 2" as adults? What size enclosure would I need for an adult? What if I did a communal tank with about 3-5 of them?

Heterometrus longimanus/Heterometrus spinifer - they seem about the same to me with spinifer being larger and they have nicer looking claws than Emperor. I think I've read that they are more active than emperor. I think they have a sting about that of a bee or a bit stronger?
There is a care sheet around here for the Het, its basically the same as emp, the sting is about the same, from what I understand those bigger tropical scorpions het spin, pandinus sp use their claws/pincers more then their stingers and if you were stung by one, it is more of a mild bee sting unless you are allergic.

They are more active during the night time like most/all scorpions, so if you want to see them, just use a infrared light (which you should be using for heating/viewing purposes) at night to see them move around and do their thing.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron

Hadogenes spp. are much larger than two inches. Just use common sense about the enclosure size, you want one that has plenty of floor space, as I. politus is not really a climbing species. I would start off with three at the most in the beginning, so you get used to the scorpions. I have never kept this species, so you will have to do some more research.
Heterometrus spp. would be fine. I would start out with two or three in an enclosure first. Again, make sure there is plenty of floor space. I haven't kept that species either, so wait for more peoples' advice.
Good luck.;)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't like the telsons on Hagdogenes spp. They seem didproportionately long for their thinness. The pics of I. politus also have thin telsons, but the length seem more proportionate to the thinness.

Last edited:

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I don't like the telsons on Hagdogenes spp. They seem didproportionately long for their thinness. The pics of I. politus also have thin telsons, but the length seem more proportionate to the thinness.
I understand. Well, go with what you like the most! Good luck!;)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am leaning more toward Iomachus politus. I still haven't been able to find out how large they can grow to as adults. I found one picture on a website that had a suspected Iomachus politus that measured at three inches, not including the tail. But I don't think there was a 100% positive id on the species. Is anyone here raising these that can give me a little more info please like adult size and success or problems with a communal setup. I think if I went the communal route, I'd go with 3 max. Thanks.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I am leaning more toward Iomachus politus. I still haven't been able to find out how large they can grow to as adults. I found one picture on a website that had a suspected Iomachus politus that measured at three inches, not including the tail. But I don't think there was a 100% positive id on the species. Is anyone here raising these that can give me a little more info please like adult size and success or problems with a communal setup. I think if I went the communal route, I'd go with 3 max. Thanks.
I have never kept them, but a credible source that I know of says that I. politus can be 1-2.5 in. to 2.5-3.5 in.

3 at the most would be great when starting. I. politus seems to be easy enough to care for. I have more help if you need it, but I will leave the research to you.:D;)

Good luck!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have been helpful. Thanks. With them being that small as adults, I imagine the babies would be almost microscopic. I imagine that the standard "small" crickets from petsmart/petco would be too large for a baby? Any suggestions?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
You have been helpful. Thanks. With them being that small as adults, I imagine the babies would be almost microscopic. I imagine that the standard "small" crickets from petsmart/petco would be too large for a baby? Any suggestions?
Actually, 3.5 in. at the largest is not that bad--and small crickets would work.

To give you an idea, I have Tityus bastosi, which as adults grow 3.5 cm at the largest. The babies that I have now are about half an inch at the largest. However, they caught crickets almost twice their size.

Well, good luck with the scorpions!;):D